Sony A6500 Housing Guide
Sony has recently released their new addition to their mirrorless interchangeable lens series, the Sony A6500. They have made significant improvements from its predecessor; 5-axis image stabilization, newly developed image processing algorithm, touchscreen focusing and higher quality 4K video recording using Super 35 feature that uses 6K of data before recording at 4K.
Below are the housings that we recommend, use this guide to help you choose which would suit your needs. You can also call or email us anytime to discuss options.
Sony A6500 Key Upgrades
- 5 Axis-Stabilization
- Newly Developed Image Processing Algorithm (Front-End LSi)
- Touchscreen Focusing
- Higher quality 4K video recording (Super 35 feature now uses 6K of data before recording at 4K)
Sony A6500 Complete Specs
- 24.2-megapixel APS-C Exmor CMOS sensor
- 425-point phase detection autofocus points
- 4D Focus picks up both space and time to capture moving subjects quickly with new clarity
- BIONZ X™ image-processing engine delivers blazing speed and performance, combined with new front-end LSi
- ISO 100 - 25,600 (expandable to 51,200)
- 5-axis in-body image stabilization
- 2.95" wide-angle LCD monitor with brightness control for sharp vivid color in any light
- Tilting rear touchscreen focusing
- Electronic XGA OLED Tru-Finder™
- 4K video recording with no pixel binning (sampling from full sensor for increased detail)
- 11 FPS burst for up to 300 JPEGs or 100 RAW
- Built-in WiFi for easy sharing
- Battery life approximately 350 shots using LCD
Read our Review on the Underwater Photography Guide.
The Aquatica housing is built from aircraft grade aluminum and stainless steel alloy which provides utmost protection for your camera. They have also designed it to be compact and lightweight. It also includes the Surveyor Monitoring System which acts as your moisture alarm with an option to add the vacuum valve, handles, hand strap, tray brackets and grid brackets. Aquatica also offers their Power Saddle, it is an optional rechargable battery which can be attached to your camera while inside the housing and is equivalent to two extra batteries.
Aquatica A6500 Housing Features:
- Exceptionally good and ergonomic control placement.
- All important controls remain accessible in all dive conditions,either cold or warm, gloves or not.
- Well established and proven system of ports, extensions and accessories to meet your personal lens preferences.
- Secure port locking system and easy access lens release button.
- Quick and simple installation of enhanced viewfinders; no special tools required.
- The comfortable and sturdy hand grips and is also extendable for larger or gloved hands.
- Extended trigger adapter
- Choice of 3 strobe connectors - fiber optic, Nikonos type and Ikelite type connectors.
Ikelite housing for the Sony A6500 camera uses the new Dry-Lock Port System.
Ikelite uses their new port system on the housing for the Sony A6500. The Dry-Lock Port System is designed features a different the o-ring placement on the port which ensures that there will be no water dripping towards your camera during disassembly of your housing. Aside from that, larger diameter of lens can be used. Ikelite also used their new ABS-PC and Lexan material for the housing which provides strength, UV protection and corrosion-free performance.
Ikelite Sony A6500 Housing Features
- Housing uses the new Dry-Lock Port System
- Important camera functions are accessible from the housing
- Large knobs and ergonomic button placement.
- Ikelite flash bulkhead connector with built-in TTL circuitry
- Two 1/4-20 threaded tray mounts with 3-inch (76mm) spacing
Housing Weight 3.1 pounds (1430 g) not including port
Dimensions 5.9 x 7.6 x 5.2 in (150 x 193 x 132 mm) including projections
Nauticam produces high quality aluminum housings, with full camera control. Nauticam has also reduced the size and weight. It has also an integrated vacuum monitoring and leak detection system. Nauticam is also well known for creating a variety of useful accessories to pair with their housings for the ultimate underwater set up. One great accessory that Nauticam offers for this housing is the Battery Pack (Nau-36331) which provides 2.5x more battery life and it slides easily inside the housing.
Nauticam Sony A6500 Housing Features
- All camera controls accessible and uses a multi-controller and piano keys
- Ergonomic controls with size, shape and color differentiation
- All controls clearly labeled
- AEL/AFL thumb lever
- Shutter release extension
- Optional angled LCD
- Integrated vacuum monitoring and leak detection
- Stainless steel brackets
- Fiber optic bulkhead
- Depth Rating: 100m
Weight: 1.56 kg
Dimensions: 198 mm x 138mm x 100mm (W x H x D)
Fantasea has produced their version of the housing for the Sony A6500, and it is compatible with its predecessor - A6300. It features a rugged yet stylish design and they kept in mind the ergonics to make sure that all essential functions can be access with ease. It includes the Moisture Detector and Alam, handstrap and body cap.
Fantasea A6500 Housing Features
- Rugged yet stylish design
- Shock resistant
- Ergonomic design
- Double o-ring protection
- Includes Moisture Detector and Alam, handstrap and body cap
- Dual fiber optic port
- M16 bulkhead for accessory such as HDMI, vacuum valve or electronic sync cords
- Depth Rating: 60m / 200ft
View our Sony a6500 Underwater Housing page.