Three Great New Cameras of 2012
Best New Cameras of 2012
Bluewater Photo owner Scott Gietler discusses some of the best new cameras for underwater photography
Sony RX100 | Olympus OM-D E-M5 | Canon T4i / 650D
Sony RX100 - best compact camera ever?
- Tiny pocketable camera, slightly larger than a Canon S100
- 13.2mm Sensor is 3x the size as a Canon S100/g12 sensor, 20 megapixels!
- Claims much faster focusing than other compact cameras
- 1080p 60fps video, full manual controls during video
- Bright F1.8-4.9 28-100mm lens
- Great HDR, Panorama modes; macro mode is much better than the Canon G1x
- Look for housings from Ikelite, Nauticam & Recsea. The Recsea Sony RX100 is already out!
- Downsides - price ($649) is a little higher than other compacts
- Available now! Read the complete UWPG Sony RX-100 review
- See the great results from our Sony RX-100 wet lens tests
Sony RX-100 discussion
Olympus OM-D -setting a new standard for mirrorless cameras
- 16 megapixel sensor, fast focusing, 1/250th sync speed
- Still much smaller than dSLR cameras, good lens selection
- Twin control dials, very customizable
- Great image stabilization during video
- Extensive weather proofing
- Look for housings from Olympus & Nauticam. We'll have the Nauticam OM-D housing in early July!
- Downsides - price ($999 body) is much higher than other mirrorless cameras, lowest ISO is still ISO 200
- Available now, but back-ordered most places
Olympus OM-D discussion
Canon T4i - solid choice for entry-level dSLR shooters
- Not much has changed from the Canon T3i, still a solid choice at its price point
- Same 18 megapixel CMOS sensor
- Biggest change is improved auto-focus during video, using hybrid phase-detection and contrast-detection - this is a great feature for people who want to take video and get amazing stills underwater
- Priced at $949 with kit lens; Canon T3i is $749 with kit lens, looking very attractive
- Dimensions appear to be almost the same as the Canon T3i, so maybe it will work in the T3i housings? We'll let you know!
- Available July 1st