Anilao Photo Workshops Spring 2020
Bluewater Photo's 2020 Anilao Underwater Photo Workshops
Join Bluewater Photo in April/May 2020 for the annual Anilao underwater photography workshops, and some amazing reef and critter diving at Crystal Blue Resort.
April 23 - May 3, 2020 (10 Nights)
May 3 - 10, 2020 (7 Nights)*
Trip Leaders: Erik Lukas, & Nirupam Nigam
Photo instructor: Mike Bartick
*We will hold some rooms from May 10 - 13, so guests can stay for 10 nights
10 Nights: $2,299 Shared Room, $2,849 Private Room
7 Nights: $1,699 Shared Room, $2,199 Private Room
7 Nights in Dumaguete - Starting at $2,428 pp
7 Nights in Puerto Galera - Starting at $1,344 pp
10 Nights in Cebu & Bohol - $2,157.50 pp
- 25% off rental photo gear from Bluewater Photo
- Daily photography workshops by photo pro at no extra cost, suitable for beginners and experienced photographers alike
- Trip designed to shoot photos - We select resorts that provide photographer-friendly facilities. The dive guides are also there to enable you to get photos, not just show you the reef
- Debatably one of the best macro diving destinations in the world!
- One of our most popular workshops offered
- Leaders who care about their guests' experiences
- Up to 4 dives a day
This was the best organized and informative photo trip that I have been on, and I’ve been on a few.” - Harry O'Neil
- Small 'dive guide to diver' ratios and long dive times
- We will visit the best dive sites early and often! Most sites are just 10 - 20 minutes from the resort.
- Prizes for photographing the most critters, the most nudibranch species, best video, and the best macro, wide-angle, and behavior shots
- Photographers with even the smallest point and shoot camera will feel very welcome here, and you will go home with some great shots
- Single rooms are available. Please email us for rates.
Anilao boasts some of the richest reefs in the world. Whether at 10ft or 100ft beneath the surface, you will be inundated with photo subjects that will fill up your memory card before the day is over.
Almost all species on our critter list can be found in Anilao - such as Rhinopias, blue-ring octopus, hairy frogfish, pipefish, flamboyant cuttlefish & Bobbit worms. Anilao is also the nudibranch capital of the world!
Here's the schedule for this trip:
- Day one of the trip: Arrival at the resort will be between 11am-1pm from Manila hotels. Rooms will be available for check-in between 12pm and 2pm. While waiting for rooms to become available, guests can have lunch (runs from 12-2), unpack their camera gear in the camera room, or relax in the common areas. There are 2 optional afternoon dives the day of arrival, which can take place as soon as 4 guests are ready for a dive (4 divers per boat).
- Each subsequent day of the trip includes *up to* 4 dives per day, consisting of two in the morning and two in the afternoon (one afternoon dive is a night dive).
- There will be underwater photo seminars and image reviews in the mornings, afternoons, and evenings.
- On the second to last day (May 2/May 9) there will be no afternoon dives. There will be 2 morning dives, a photo contest and group dinner.
- Departure will be on the following day at 8 am back to MNL. Shuttle transfers take approx 3.5 hours between Anilao-Manila so book your departure flight sometime in the afternoon (we recommend any time after 2:30-3:00 PM to be safe).*
To get a little insight as to what the workshop is like, read the report from our 2018 trip, here!
- 7 or 10 nights of deluxe accommodations in sealed rooms with air-conditioning
- Daily photo clinics and workshops to help you improve your photography (for the May 3rd trip, the workshop will run only for the first 7 days - if you purchase the 10-day package, there will not be any additional photo education)
- Up to 4 dives a day (including night dives)
- All meals
- Nitrox ($99 for the week)
- Transfers ($100 round trip from Manila airport)
Crystal Blue offers spectacular diving, amazing macro photography, knowledgeable guides, incredible cuisine, and comfortable ocean-view accommodations. The resort has a bar, restaurant, spa, jacuzzi, awesome food and offers 17 rooms that consist of deluxe rooms, superior rooms, and a large family villa.
Read the reviews of Crystal Blue Resort here.
- We recommend guests arrive in Manila one day before the workshop begins and stay in a nearby hotel.
- We have 3 hotel recommendations for guests; The Manila Marriott, Holiday Inn Express Manila Newport City, or The Belmont Hotel - all very close to the airport.
- Alternatively, you can arrive at the Manila airport (code: MNL) on the morning of first day of the workshop before 10 am and the shuttle will pick you up directly from the airport.
- Everyone will leave in the morning of the last day (approx 8:00 am) and be transferred back to the airport.
- Booking an afternoon/evening flight would be advised.
- If you have any questions, please email us for recommended departure/arrival times. We will arrange your transport to the resort.
Erik Lukas is an active diver and photographer based in Los Angeles, CA. He is a volunteer scuba diver at the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, CA. You can expect to find Erik diving many of the amazing Pacific Ocean sites of Southern California, camera in hand, at any chance he can get.
"I am passionate about underwater photography in general and have a special love for macro subjects. For me the things that are hardest to spot hold the most interest. Documenting the commensal and symbiotic relationships is for me the most interesting…the smaller and more bizarre the better. I also have a passion for sharing my knowledge with others. My goal with all of my workshops is to ensure each guest leaves with a group of images that they are proud to share."
Mike Bartick is a Marine Wildlife Photographer residing in Anilao, Philippines. He has an insatiable love for finding unique marine life, observing and photographing its behavior and sharing his insight and knowledge with others. His curiosity and drive for first-hand experience have led him across the globe in search of that special critter encounter. Mike is a widely published, award-winning photographer, writer and international public speaker with work appearing monthly in various magazines, websites, and internet publications.
Mike also hosts photo clinics, workshops, and seminars at Crystal Blue Resort, concentrating on the different aspects of Underwater Photography and the natural history of Southeast Asia and the Indo-Pacific. For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or Mike@divecbr.com.
Workshops will be given daily on topics such as macro composition, camera settings, creative lighting, super macro, and more. Help underwater is also given.
Check out this page for more information on what to expect from our photography workshops as well as some testimonials!
In order to get the most out of the photo workshops, we have put together a few recommendations for our guests. These are recommendations only; they are optional and all types of cameras and lighting systems are welcome. We will be teaching certain concepts and skills that will allow you to expand your photographic knowledge, and we feel that these tools are best suited to help you get the most out of the workshops.
A critical part of creating a photograph is exposure settings, therefore you will benefit most by using a camera that will allow you to take full manual control over the shutter speed, aperture, and ISO settings.
Another camera function that is highly recommended is the ability to shoot images in RAW format. This will give you the most flexibility for post processing during image editing, which is also covered in many of the photo workshops. Most modern camera systems provide this functionality.
Lighting is perhaps the single most important part of creating beautiful underwater images....there is simply no way to cut corners with respect to lighting. The most common lighting systems for photography are strobes, however we do see many fine examples made with video lights. Instruction will be provided for using and getting the best results with strobes, so it is also recommended that strobes are part of your underwater lighting system. It is also highly advisable to get the most powerful strobes your budget will allow. While a single strobe will work for macro photography, dual strobes are highly recommended for both macro and specifically for wide-angle photos.
-Tips provided by Photo Leader Erik Lukas
Payment 2: $800 due 7/1/19
Payment 3: Balance due 12/1/19
We can help with that! See more of the Philippines before or after your workshop in Anilao with Bluewater. Flying all that way merits a multi-destination vacation! Puerto Galera, Dumaguete, and Cebu & Bohol are amazing destinations nearby that offer a range of additional unique experiences. Here are some examples of packages we can add on to your workshop reservation:
*Rates are subject to change at any time; please contact us for the most updated pricing.
7 NIGHTS in Dumaguete
Price: Starting at $1,958 per person*
*based on double occupancy and mid-range room pricing. Room upgrades are available and additional peak season rates may apply for certain dates
A short domestic flight from MNL to the Southern Philippines can extend your macro photography vacation in style at the luxurious Atmosphere Resort.
- A week in a Suite
- 10-dive package
- All meals
- Free WiFi: Yes
- Swimming Pool: Yes
7 NIGHTS In Puerto Galera
Price: Starting at $1,223 per person*
*based on double occupancy and mid range room pricing. Room upgrades are available and additional peak season rates may apply for certain dates
A few hours' car and boat transfer from MNL, El Galleon can offer you abundant corals and fish diversity and an inexpensive all-inclusive dive package.
- 7 nights at El Galleon Resort
- Daily dives
- Free WiFi: Yes
- Swimming Pool: Yes
10 NIGHTS in Cebu & Bohol
Price: $1,740 per person*
A short domestic flight from MNL to either of these islands offers a whole new experience! See pristine corals and abundant reefs, all with never-ending diversity ranging from tiny seahorses to whale sharks. There are numerous resorts to choose from, but we think Magic Resorts (Magic Oceans Bohol & Magic Island Cebu) offer the best experience for the price.
- 5 nights on each island
- Daily dives
- All meals and transfers between resorts and airports
- Free WiFi: Yes
- Swimming Pool: Yes
Call us today at 310-915-6677 email us at email@example.com
Or stop by our office at 3961 Sepulveda Blvd, Suite 206 Culver City, CA 90230
And let us book your dream vacation!