Fiji Photo Workshop On The Nai'a 2024
Join Bluewater Dive Travel at the soft coral capital of the world! Dive 10 nights on the Nai'a, the top liveaboard in Fiji! With awesome visibility and breath-taking soft corals, Fiji is a must-visit for all scuba divers.
Here's why we think Fiji offers some of the best scuba diving in the world.
November 23 - December 3, 2024
Trip Leader: Erik Lukas
10 Nights for $6,684 per person, double occupancy*
3 Nights - Starting at $1,037
5 Nights - Starting at $1,799
*One trip leader cabin share for $800 off (much smaller cabin space)!
- FREE daily photo workshops
- Unique destination, dive the coral capital of the world
- Unforgettable reefs and pinnacles
- FREE nitrox
- 25% off rental photo gear from Bluewater Photo
In Fiji, it’s all about the corals. The colors are so incredibly vibrant and the anthias so plentiful that it’s hard to ever look away. Around every corner is the next world-class image. Remember to get in the current. One of the main draws of diving Fiji is the reef scenes - they are quite spectacular!
The gorgeous, lush, color-splashed images of Fiji that you see in dive publications are courtesy of a soft coral called dendronephthya. Few other places in the world offer such an abundance of this coral, nor the wide spectrum of colors ranging from pink and purple to orange, yellow and fiery red. Dendronephthya soft coral needs current; with little current present, the soft corals are muted, but as the current increases, they inflate with water and their color really begins to glow. As the current picks up, planktivores such as beautifully colored scalefin anthias spring up off the reef in polarized schools. Together, this forms a rich pageantry of color. Underwater photographers will want to shoot when some current is present, making a dramatic difference in the color of underwater imagery.
The best places for soft coral in Fiji are the Bligh Waters between Viti Levu and Vanua Levu where there are numerous reefs and pinnacles, the Somosomo Strait between Taveuni and Vanua Levu, and Namena Island, with its marine protected area. The 10-night trip includes a visit to Fiji's Rainbow Reef, one of the area's best-known dive sites which gets its name from the spectacular array of colors because of the abundance of soft corals, leather corals, sea fans and sea anemones - not to mention the fish!
Read about our latest trip to Fiji - Fiji Underwater Photo Workshop 2022 Trip Report
Fiji is home to an amazing variety of fish life, including colorful angelfish, anemone fish, anthias, frogfish, hawkfish, moray eels, ghost pipefish, and countless other photogenic species.
Blue Ribbon Eels are also fantastic subjects. The yellow and blue males are full of personality and if you search hard, you can find the female (all yellow) and juvenile (black with a yellow stripe). The black juveniles are notoriously difficult to photograph.
There are sharks in Fiji, though they are generally not found on every dive. Beqa Island is the one exception to this rule, as sharks are seen there daily. The most common species of sharks in Fiji are grey reef, white tip reef, silvertip, and hammerhead. Sharks always make great subjects, but reef sharks are difficult to get close to. For real shark action, do the shark dive in Beqa Lagoon, where you’ll see up to 8 different species of sharks numbering in the dozens, including very large bull sharks and a massive tiger shark that makes semi-regular appearances.
Other fun subjects include banded sea snakes, several species of turtles, and pelagics like tuna, barracuda, and occasionally manta rays.
There are also plenty of macro opportunities. While diversity is not as great as Southeast Asia's coral triangle, there is still a wide range of species here, including mantis shrimp, decorator crabs, bobtail squid, and many different nudibranchs.
Camera and lens tips: You’ll definitely want two strobes to get full light coverage in your frame. Use as much strobe power as possible to illuminate the soft corals and really make them shine. Fortunately, soft corals don’t move, so you can get as close as you want. Bracket and really work on your blue backgrounds. Get close to the soft coral with a fisheye lens. Fiji is a great place to get close to the coral and practice your wide-angle technique. Take your time, put your strobes on manual, and get your exposures right.
Experience level needed for this trip: Most of the divers who come onboard a very experienced diver but they do take all levels of experience, but all levels are welcome and accommodated. Their friendly and experienced Fijian crew will look after you if you’re a beginner.
- 10 nights accommodation on a double occupancy basis
- All meals
- All non-alcoholic beverages and complimentary wine with dinner
- Round-trip transfers between Nadi Airport (NAN)/ hotels within the Nadi area and the boat
- FREE nitrox
- FREE daily underwater photography workshops and tutorials
- Tanks and weights
- Unlimited diving
- Crew gratuities
- Fuel surcharge
- Any other onboard payments
This trip is a PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOP. It will be led by one of our photo instructors and will include daily underwater photography tutorials, in-water photography support, and one-to-one advice and guidance as required.
What to expect from our Photo Workshops
- Daily photo workshops - Your photo instructor will schedule seminars each day on topics including, but not limited to, equipment type and selection, the concept of underwater photography, lighting and composition techniques, and post-processing. They will also include topics relevant to the location and your experience such as wide-angle, and macro-specific workshops and assignments.
- In-water support - Where possible, each dive group will spend time underwater with the photo instructor, receiving in-water support and guidance on their shooting techniques. Participants can also request in-water assistance during the workshop and the photo instructor will do his or her best to accommodate all requests.
- Consecutive days of practice & review - Each day you will have the opportunity to practice the techniques and skills learned in the previous day’s tutorials. If you are new to underwater photography you will likely see a vast improvement in just a few days.
- Daily photo image reviews - You are strongly encouraged to bring your laptop, a thumb drive, edit your photos, and submit your shots for review from both the instructor and your peers. These are fun and interactive sessions encouraging you to improve throughout the trip.
- Quality time with fellow photographers - Both new and experienced photographers from past workshops have expressed the advantages of joining a trip with like-minded divers with a passion for underwater photography.
- Suitable for everyone - New and experienced photographers are welcome on all our trips. Gain the necessary skills to start shooting great photos, increase your confidence in finding the best underwater shots, or hone specific skills. We also encourage non-photographers to join, as many of them really enjoy the daily photo reviews, learning about underwater photography, and some have even returned to a photo workshop with an underwater camera setup!
Enjoy free, unlimited access to a wealth of knowledge and advice from your photo instructor.
Please see the map below to get an idea on the place you will visit on the trip.
Here is the daily onboard routine:
Coffee, Tea, Juice, Toast, Cereal, and Fruit
* This schedule may vary at several locations where tighter coordination of dive times is required due to the site, tide and/or weather. Additional dives are generally available in between scheduled dives.
Experience level needed for this trip: Most of the divers that come onboard a very experienced diver but they do take all levels of experience. Their friendly and experienced Fijian crew will look after you if you’re a beginner.
Nai'a is setting a new standard in world-class liveaboard scuba diving expeditions. The ship is beautifully appointed, incredibly spacious and boasts a dive-savvy Fijian crew famous for their dedicated service. Nai'a has accommodation for 18 passengers in 9 air-conditioned staterooms with private ensuite heads. All the staterooms are larger than those on most dive vessels, with plenty of storage for gear, and they are bright, airy, and comfortable.
Read the reviews of the Nai'a here.
Erik Lukas is an active diver and photographer based in Los Angeles, CA. He is a volunteer scuba diver at the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, CA. You can expect to find Erik diving many of the amazing Pacific Ocean sites of Southern California, camera in hand, at any chance he can get.
"I am passionate about underwater photography in general and have a special love for macro subjects. For me the things that are hardest to spot hold the most interest. Documenting the commensal and symbiotic relationships is for me the most interesting…the smaller and more bizarre the better. I also have a passion for sharing my knowledge with others. My goal with all of my workshops is to ensure each guest leaves with a group of images that they are proud to share." Read more about Erik here.
You will have to fly in and out of Nadi international airport (NAN). Pick up will start at 1 pm on Nov 23 from Nadi airport and hotels within the Nadi area for transfer to the boat. The Nai’a is scheduled to depart at 2 pm if all goes well with the transfer. After the charter, transport is arranged to pick everyone up from the boat at 8 am on Dec 3 and transfer back to Nadi airport and hotels within the Nadi area.
The Nai'a can help arrange a 2nd checked bag with Fiji Airways for only $75 each way; e-mail us for details.
Payment 2: $2,300 - due on November 1, 2023
Balance: $2,084 - due May 1, 2024
*Rates are subject to change at any time; please contact us for the most updated pricing.
OPTIONAL LAND EXTENSION AT VOLIVOLI BEACH RESORT RATES
Rates are per person and in USD. These rates are only applicable to those participating in the BWT Photo Workshop aboard the N'aia from October 28 to November 7, 2023.
|Package||3 Nights||5 Nights|
|Standard Ocean View||Diver - Twin Share||$1,037.00||$1,799.00|
|Diver - Single||$1,408.00||$2,417.00|
|Non-Diver Twin Share||$853.40||$1,294.10|
|Deluxe Ocean View||Diver - Twin Share||$1,113.00||$2,321.00|
|Diver - Single||$1,561.00||$2,672.00|
|Non-Diver Twin Share||$929.40||$1,816.10|
Premium Ocean View
|Diver - Twin Share||$1,190.00||$2,054.00|
|Diver - Single||$1,714.00||$2,927.00|
|Non-Diver Twin Share||$1,006.40||$1,549.10|
|Family Ocean View Villa||Diver - Triple Share||$1,168.00||$2,018.00|
|Diver - Quad Share||$1,042.00||$1,809.00|
|Non-Diver Triple Share||$984.40||$1,513.10|
|2 Bedroom Luxury Oceanfront Villas||Diver - Triple Share||$1,278.00||$2,202.00|
|Diver - Quad Share||$1,125.00||$1,946.00|
|Non-Diver Triple Share||$1,094.40||$1,697.10|
- Round trip Nadi airport/resort transfers
- Welcome drink on arrival
- Full meal plan – 3 meals daily with juice, milk, rain water, coffee, and tea at breakfast.
- Beach BBQ
- Free use of kayaks and participation in a variety of complimentary resort activities
- Resort and Government taxes
- 3 Night Diver Package also includes: 1 days of 2 tank boat diving & 1 days of 3 tank boat diving– includes tanks, weights, and dive guide (Free day of 3 tank diving), Unlimited shore diving on dive days (reserve tanks 24 hours prior)
- 5 Night Diver Package also includes: 2 days of 2 tank boat diving & 2 days of 3 tank boat diving– includes tanks, weights, and dive guide (Free day of 3 tank diving), Unlimited shore diving on dive days (reserve tanks 24 hours prior)
- Nitrox ($50 for 3 day trip; $80 for 5 day trip)
- Beverages other than tea, coffee, and rain water
- Lobster and Crab menu items (Market price)
- Personal dive equipment
- Dive Courses
- Dive and Travel Insurance (diving insurance is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED)
$100 per person deposit to confirm at the time of booking
100% Payment due 45 days prior to arrival date
Call us today at +1-310-915-6677 or email us email@example.com
And let us book your dream vacation!
Underwater Photos from Previous Trips