Moorea Whale Trips August/September 2020
Moorea Whale SNORKEL Trips August/September 2020
Why join this trip:
Imagine being picked up from a boat directly from your hotel restaurant. A trip where you can have a close encounter with a whale 10 minutes after leaving the dock. A location that puts you in warm, clear water, takes 1/3 the time to get to than other humpback whale destinations, and costs half the price. A trip where the operator never cuts a whale encounter short. A trip where you are on a boat with a small group of people, 6 at most, compared to 20 people on the "day boats". This is the amazing trip that Scott Gietler experienced, and has put together for you to enjoy - a trip of a lifetime. Snorkel only, no dive certification required!
Check out this awesome video!
Choose from 5 dates:
August 29 - September 5
Trip Leader: TBD
September 5 -12
Trip Leader: Erik Lukas
September 12 - 19
Trip Leader: Mark Strickland
September 19 - 26
Led by Tommy Stylski
September 26 - October 3
Led by Renee Capozzola
Only $2,995 for 7 nights
- Our whale boat stays out all day, taking advantage of time in the early morning, mid-day, and late afternoon when many other operators (i.e. half-day boats) are not out.
- We have selected a top-notch operator with a high level of expertise in finding whales and providing you the best chance of having a quality encounter in the water. Having an operator who knows how to get you a better whale experience is critical in Moorea.
- Our operator’s boat has a hydrophone, which not only helps us to locate the whales, but also provides you the opportunity to hear these whales singing in great detail!
- Small group size (max 6 guests, incl trip leader)
- 7 nights accommodation at Hotel Kaveka, twin occupancy in Garden Bungalow
- Lunch provided on the boat days
- 5 days on the water looking for whales, weather permitting, on a private boat with captain and guide and 1 day of rest to explore or relax.
- Breakfast & dinner not included. Buying food at the grocery store can be inexpensive. Most restaurants will pick you up free of charge at the hotel, but the restaurants can be pricey. There is a reasonably priced pizza place within walking distance of Hotel Kaveka.
- Upgrading to a single occupancy room
- Ferry Ride to and from Moorea ~$30 USD round trip. There are two ferry companies: Aremiti http://www.aremiti.net/schedule (has 2 ferry boats) and Terevau https://www.terevau.pf/en/schedules/ (Has 1 ferry boat)
- Transfers between the airport and ferry, then the ferry and resort: There is a taxi company located right on the pier, and they charge 2.500 CFP for the cab that can seat up to eight passengers (roughly USD 25).There is also a public bus service which leaves from the pier upon the arrival of the fast ferries, and the price is 350 CFP per person one way (roughly USD 3.5). There is also the ALBERT TRANSPORT mini-bus shuttle which is also on the pier upon arrival of the fast ferries and the price person one way for this is 700 CFP (roughly USD 6.7) and you may book online at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com .
- Travel Insurance: click here to learn more about our preferred plan
- Please bring your own wetsuit and fins. There are no rental options on the island. A full 3mm wetsuit is highly recommended; many guests have skipped the wetsuit and gotten very cold when the weather got windy and cloudy.
- We are not in the water all day non-stop. There may be long periods of time when you’re on the boat, just looking for the whales.
- Guests must be good swimmers for this trip. We are dropped 100m away from the whales and must swim up to them from that distance (local regulation for whale swimming). It is possible to hire a private guide to help you swim if necessary. Please inquire.
- Many guests have gotten sunburn even though there is shade on the boat, so all skin must be covered. We suggest hat, scarf for face/lips, full skin or wetsuit and plenty of sunscreen.
- Guests are required to be be physically able to get up a small boat ladder on their own.
- Airbnb is getting more popular and can be recommended for a night in Tahiti prior to the trip.
Semi-inflatable 24ft / 7.5m boat.
Guests will fly into and out of the international airport on Tahiti in Pape'ete (code PPT). From there, it is a 15 minute taxi ride to the ferry port, where you can purchase a ticket on-site to cross the channel to Moorea Island (about 45 minute ferry ride). You can take a taxi or bus from Moorea ferry port to Hotel Kaveka, which is about 15 minutes away.
- Day 1: International flight arrival at Tahiti (airport code: PPT), take ferry to Moorea, hotel arrival
- Day 2 - 6: Look for whales 9AM-4PM (times are samples based on previous years and not guaranteed to be the same each year).
- Day 7: Day of rest. Can be used to dive, explore the island, or potentially add another day of whale swimming (dependent on boat availability and agreement between all guests during the trip).
- Day 8: Depart hotel, take ferry back to Tahiti for flight.
Family owned and operated, The Hotel Kaveka offers incredible value for discerning travelers from around the world. Nobody knows Moorea better than the team of professionals at The Hotel Kaveka. Portable televisions with local reception are in the bungalows along with a mini refrigerator and air conditioning. All the rooms included on this trip have air-conditioning, which is not available at many other hotels in Moorea.
Erik Lukas is an active diver and photographer based in Los Angeles, CA. He is a volunteer scuba diver at the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, CA. You can expect to find Erik diving many of the amazing Pacific Ocean sites of Southern California, camera in hand, at any chance he can get.
"I am passionate about underwater photography in general and have a special love for macro subjects. For me the things that are hardest to spot hold the most interest. Documenting the commensal and symbiotic relationships is for me the most interesting…the smaller and more bizarre the better. I also have a passion for sharing my knowledge with others. My goal with all of my workshops is to ensure each guest leaves with a group of images that they are proud to share."
Mark Strickland’s life-long interest in the sea has included over 10,000 dives and careers as a lifeguard, boat captain, and scuba instructor. His passion for underwater photography has led him to many top dive locales, including Virgin Islands, Australia, and Thailand, where he spent 17 years as Cruise Director on a series of liveaboards. Mark now resides in Ventura county, California.
An avid marine naturalist, Mark has discovered several nudibranch species. He is the co-author and principal photographer for Lonely Planet’s award-winning book, “Diving and Snorkeling Thailand”, and his work appears in many magazines, books and displays around the world. Currently, Mark leads several dive trips each year to his favorite destinations, while working on a career-spanning large-format pictorial book. Email Mark at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tommy Stylski is an avid marine life photographer, ocean lover, and diver of over 20 years. His dad introduced him to scuba at a young age while vacationing in Tulum, Mexico.
Now a certified divemaster, he’s led hundreds of trips and has worked with both novice and the most advanced divers. Diving has provided him opportunities to travel, visit many Caribbean destinations, lead workshops in the Philippines, photograph sharks in Fiji and explore the kelp forests of California. These experiences have instilled in him a deep respect for our oceans.
Renee Capozzola is an international award-winning underwater photographer who specializes in wide-angle and over-under images. Her work is an intriguing combination of artistic talent honed through oil painting during her youth and a professional background in biology. The list of awards she has won includes first place in the 2018 Big Picture: Natural World Photography Competition, first place in the 2018 Asia Pacific UW Photo Challenge, first place winner in the 2017 Ocean Geographic Pictures of the Year, and the Best-In-Show prize at the 2017 Beneath the Sea. You can
Payment 2: $500, Due 9/1/19
Payment 3: $1,000, Due 3/1/20
Payment 4: Balance, Due 6/1/20
Call us today at +1-310-915-6677 email us at email@example.com
Or stop by our office at 3961 Sepulveda Blvd, Suite 206 Culver City, CA 90230
And let us book your dream vacation!
Moorea Humpback Whale Photos Taken by Tommy Stylski
Moorea Humpback Whale Photos Taken by Bryan Chu
Moorea Humpback Whale Photo Taken by Erik Lukas
Moorea Humpback Whale Photos Taken by Mark Strickland