2021 Raja Ampat Underwater Photo Workshop
2021 Raja Ampat Underwater Photo Workshop
Join us December 7 - 18, 2021 for some of the most amazing diving in the world on one of Indonesia's most luxurious liveaboards with a maximum of only 12 divers! Trip leader to be announced soon.
December 7 - 18, 2021
Sorong to Sorong Route
Trip Leader: Craig Dietrich
11 Nights for:
Double Cabin - $6,545 pp
Master Cabin - $7,095 pp
Single Cabin - $8,525 pp
Prices are all-inclusive of harbor fees, dive gear, massages, and laundry. Guests will still pay the park fee (IDR 1,000,000) separately onboard. Read the package details here
- 25% off rental photo gear from Bluewater Photo
- One of the best diving in the world: highest number of fish and coral species in the world, great macro, amazing reefs and much more
- FREE daily photo workshops
- Great itinerary with unlimited diving covering Raja Ampat’s best dive sites
- One of Indonesia’s most luxurious liveaboards: the Damai I
- All-inclusive price: taxes, port fees, full rental gear, laundry, massages, Nitrox, beer and 1 glass of wine at dinner included (park fee excluded)
The jewel-like islands of Raja Ampat are caressed by a convergence of swift nutrient-rich currents. Here the pulse of marine life thrives from the sea floor to the surface where the kaleidoscope of corals can start in less than a meter of water.
There are sites that are so pristine and packed with growth, that a photographer is hard-pressed to find a spot to place a steadying finger. Exotic sea life and macro critters abound of course, and photo opportunities border on overwhelming. But at the end of the day, the most memorable moments for us are what can rarely be captured in digital format: the incredible experience of drifting along miles of exquisite reef brimming with hues and activity, the likes of which few have ever experienced.
Damai I has been specifically designed for cruising and diving in the tropical waters of Indonesia, with passenger well-being always the top priority. Equipped with the latest navigation, communication and safety equipment, the DIVE DAMAI fleet sets a new standard for safety as well as comfort, service and passenger amenities.
Of course, even the best ship is only as good as her crew, and this is another area where DIVE DAMAI shines. Every trip is managed by a highly qualified and experienced western cruise director, complimented by an ever-helpful Indonesian crew, all of whom are dedicated to making your diving holiday the trip of a lifetime.
Marine Life to Photograph
Raja Ampat has one of the highest numbers of fish species of anywhere on the planet. Here are just a few examples of marine life you're likely to see: wobbegong sharks, jacks, barracuda, Napoleon wrasse, trevally, bumphead parrotfish, pygmy seahorses, batfish, angelfish, butterflyfish, barramundi cod, and a good variety of nudibranchs.
If you look a little deeper when the current picks up, you can see reef sharks at most sites, especially at places like Blue Magic and Sardines. These are also prime locations for schooling fish, which tend to gather when the current is running. At such times, it’s not unusual to be surrounded by clouds of fusiliers and surgeonfish in mid-water, while legions of sweetlips completely obscure large coral heads below.
Diving in Raja Ampat is excellent all year round, but October to April is considered the best diving season - when you'll find less rain and better visibility.
- Water temperature: Average Raja water temperatures in December are in the low to mid-80s.
- Avg. visibility: 30 - 70 feet
- Wetsuit needed: A full 3mm wetsuit is recommended.
- Topside temperature: Air temperatures are reliably constant with a daytime average maximum of 89F
- Currents: Most dive site conditions are generally calm, but a few dives can involve strong currents.
- Required skill: This destination is more suitable for experienced divers.
- All meals, snacks, soft drinks, beer, and one glass of wine at dinner. Additional wine and spirits extra.
- Unlimited diving, including night dives. Maximum diver to guide ratio of 4:1
- Full rental gear: BCD, regulator, 3mm or 5mm wetsuit, mask, fins, and computer
- Tanks, weights, weight belts, pony bottles (spare air) and dive torches
- Laundry service
- Land tours and group activities organized by Dive Damai during the cruise
- Government taxes
- All vessel port and harbor fees
- Transfers to and from Sorong airport or a local hotel on the day of embarkation and disembarkation
- Park fee (IDR 1,000,000), to be paid separately onboard, subject to change
- Airfare to and from Sorong. We can work with the Damai concierge team to assist in arranging your travel within Indonesia.
- Dive insurance (compulsory) - we recommend DAN!
Daily Photo Workshops
Workshops will be given daily on topics such as wide-angle underwater photography, ambient light shots, snorkeling with large animals, strobe exposure, and positions, avoiding backscatter and composition.
Departing from Sorong, Papua, the Damai I liveaboard will make the first stop at the eastern end of the Dampier Straits for a check-out dive. We will spend the following day here diving iconic sites like Cape Kri, Blue Magic and Mioskon enjoying the schooling fish, cruising sharks and maybe rays and pygmy seahorses. We will head west to Gam where there are beautiful orange softcorals at Citrus Ridge and fish action at Mayhem before exploring the wonders found under Arborek Jetty. We will head west to Penemu for some world class coral reefs and the photo opportunity of the lagoon from the top of the viewpoint. Moving south to the colourful softcoral-covered reefs around the island of Misool, we can enjoy the pinnacles at Wayilbatan and Fiabacet or a nice drift along the channel at Neptune Fan Sea.
The final cruise day will explore the caves at Farondi with another opportunity for a lagoon tour on the tenders. Our Raja Ampat liveaboard cruise will end in Sorong where guests can enjoy complimentary airport transfer.
The vessel has been designed with three large deck areas for relaxing in both the sun or shade and for enjoying relaxing massage and spa treatments. Specifically designed for divers, the vessel offers large dive stations with individual rinse tanks and a camera room with separate camera workstations with integrated 110v and 220v charging station for each photographer.
Read the reviews of the Damai I here.
- International flights: The trip will begin and end in Sorong (SOQ). When the time comes (no sooner than 1 year before departure) we can assist you with flight suggestions and booking.
- Airport transfers on arrival and departure: Transfers are included in the price.
ABOUT THE TRIP LEADER
Craig Dietrich is an award-winning underwater photographer based in Jupiter, Florida. From an early age Craig felt the need to express himself artistically and the first time he picked up a camera, he knew he had found the perfect outlet for his creativity and sparked what would become a life-altering passion for photography. Craig served our country as a Naval photographer during both Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm, when he was given the opportunity to travel the world and his thirst for adventure was born.
After the Navy, Craig learned to scuba dive. Upon breaking the surface the first time, he knew this was a world he wanted to be a part of and a second passion was ignited. Longing to share that world with others, he put together his two greatest loves and ventured into the world underwater photography.
Craig’s underwater photography has been featured in multiple dive publications, won multiple awards and has been sold in upscale galleries from Carmel, California to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. He now makes his living teaching underwater photography and selling his photography at art shows throughout the southeastern United States.
To learn more about Craig’s work, visit www.dietrichunderwater.com.
- Deposit: 15%
- Payment 2: 15% Due 11/1/20
- Payment 3: 30% Due 3/1/21
- Payment 4: Balance, Due 6/1/21
Call us today at +1-310-915-6677 email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Or stop by our office at 3961 Sepulveda Blvd, Suite 206 Culver City, CA 90230
And let us book your dream vacation!