2023 RAJA AMPAT UNDERWATER PHOTO WORKSHOP
Join us from November 26 to December 7, 2023 for some of the most amazing diving in the world
on one of Indonesia's most luxurious liveaboards with a maximum of only 12 divers!
NOVEMBER 26 - DECEMBER 7, 2023
Sorong to Sorong Route
Trip Leader: Erik Lukas
11 Nights for:
Double Cabin - $7,425 pp
Master Cabin 5 - $7,975 pp
Master Cabin 6 - $8,745 pp
Single - $9,975 pp
Cabin 7 - $6,683 pp
*Prices are all-inclusive of harbor fees, dive gear, massages, and laundry.
Guests will still pay the park fee (IDR 1,000,000) separately onboard. Read the package details here
- 25% off rental photo gear from Bluewater Photo
- One of the best diving in the world: highest number of fish and coral species in the world, great macro, amazing reefs and much more
- FREE daily photo workshops
- Great itinerary with unlimited diving covering Raja Ampat’s best dive sites
- One of Indonesia’s most luxurious liveaboards: the Damai II
- All-inclusive price: taxes, port fees, full rental gear, laundry, massages, Nitrox, beer and 1 glass of wine at dinner included (park fee excluded). Package is usually priced at $37/night for a total of $370.
The jewel-like islands of Raja Ampat are caressed by a convergence of swift nutrient-rich currents. Here the pulse of marine life thrives from the sea floor to the surface where the kaleidoscope of corals can start in less than a meter of water.
There are sites that are so pristine and packed with growth, that a photographer is hard-pressed to find a spot to place a steadying finger. Exotic sea life and macro critters abound of course, and photo opportunities border on overwhelming. But at the end of the day, the most memorable moments for us are what can rarely be captured in digital format: the incredible experience of drifting along miles of exquisite reef brimming with hues and activity, the likes of which few have ever experienced.
Read all about the BWT trip to Raja Ampat in November 2019 here.
The Damai II has been specifically designed for cruising and diving in the tropical waters of Indonesia, with passenger well-being always the top priority. Equipped with the latest navigation, communication and safety equipment, the DIVE DAMAI fleet sets a new standard for safety as well as comfort, service and passenger amenities.
Of course, even the best ship is only as good as her crew, and this is another area where DIVE DAMAI shines. Every trip is managed by a highly qualified and experienced western cruise director, complimented by an ever-helpful Indonesian crew, all of whom are dedicated to making your diving holiday the trip of a lifetime.
Marine Life to Photograph
Raja Ampat has one of the highest numbers of fish species of anywhere on the planet. Here are just a few examples of marine life you're likely to see: wobbegong sharks, jacks, barracuda, Napoleon wrasse, trevally, bumphead parrotfish, pygmy seahorses, batfish, angelfish, butterflyfish, barramundi cod, and a good variety of nudibranchs.
If you look a little deeper when the current picks up, you can see reef sharks at most sites, especially at places like Blue Magic and Sardines. These are also prime locations for schooling fish, which tend to gather when the current is running. At such times, it’s not unusual to be surrounded by clouds of fusiliers and surgeonfish in mid-water, while legions of sweetlips completely obscure large coral heads below.
See also: Raja Ampat Dive Travel Guide
Average Raja water temperatures in December are in the low to mid-80s. A full 3mm wetsuit is recommended.
Read the reviews on diving Raja Ampat here
- All meals, snacks, soft drinks, beer, and one glass of wine at dinner. Additional wine and spirits extra.
- Unlimited diving, including night dives. Maximum diver to guide ratio of 4:1
- Full rental gear: BCD, regulator, 3mm or 5mm wetsuit, mask, fins, and computer
- Tanks, weights, weight belts, pony bottles (spare air) and dive torches
- Laundry service
- Land tours and group activities organized by Dive Damai during the cruise
- Government taxes
- All vessel port and harbor fees
- Transfers to and from Sorong airport or a local hotel on the day of embarkation and disembarkation
- Park fee (IDR 1,000,000), to be paid separately on board, subject to change
- Airfare to and from Sorong. We can work with the Damai concierge team to assist in arranging your travel within Indonesia.
- Dive insurance (compulsory) - we recommend DAN!
Daily Photo Workshops
Workshops will be given daily on topics such as wide-angle underwater photography, ambient light shots, snorkeling with large animals, strobe exposure, and positions, avoiding backscatter and composition.
The itinerary can be variable and will be planned according to the direction of the trip leader and cruise director on board. They will have a good idea at that time of the conditions at the various locations. A typical December itinerary would include the following locations:
- Days 1 - 3: Dampier Strait, Arborek, Waigeo, Aljui Bay (all considered to be Northern Raja Ampat)
- Days 4 - 7: Move to "Southern Raja Ampat" - Bo'o, Fiabacet, Daram, Balbulol
- Days 8 - 10: Slowly move north back to Sorong - Batanta, Yanggefo, Kri, etc.
The below deck accommodation has been designed to accommodate single or twin occupants in a level of luxury not seen on another vessel in Indonesia. Each cabin boasts a private shower and head with a queen-size bed and a separate day bed. The cabins measure approximately 20sq.mts (225 sq.ft) each and have been finished with the highest quality furnishings. The stern staterooms are over 400 sq.ft each and boast their own private deck with loungers, a super-king size bed, day beds, two desks and ensuite shower and separate head.
Read the reviews of the Damai II here.
The trip will begin and end in Sorong. When the time comes (no sooner than 1 year before departure) we can assist you with flight suggestions and booking.
Erik Lukas is an active diver and photographer based in Los Angeles, CA. He is a volunteer scuba diver at the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, CA. You can expect to find Erik diving many of the amazing Pacific Ocean sites of Southern California, camera in hand, at any chance he can get.
"I am passionate about underwater photography in general and have a special love for macro subjects. For me the things that are hardest to spot hold the most interest. Documenting the commensal and symbiotic relationships is for me the most interesting…the smaller and more bizarre the better. I also have a passion for sharing my knowledge with others. My goal with all of my workshops is to ensure each guest leaves with a group of images that they are proud to share." Read more about Erik here.
- Deposit: 15%
- Payment 2: 15% Due 11/1/22
- Payment 3: 30% Due 4/1/23
- Payment 4: Balance, Due 7/1/23
Call us today at +1-310-915-6677 email us at email@example.com
Or stop by our office at 3961 Sepulveda Blvd, Suite 206 Culver City, CA 90230
And let us book your dream vacation!