South Africa Sardine Run Photo Workshop 2021
South Africa Sardine Run Photo Workshop
Join this amazing specialty trip to see the famous sardine run, several species of sharks and a land-based open vehicle African safari.
June 20 - July 3, 2021
Led by Craig Dietrich
12 Nights for $4,499 pp (double occupancy) | $5,299 pp (single occupancy)
- 25% off rental photo gear from Bluewater Photo
- Best time to witness the Sardine Run: see dolphin super pods, sharks, and humpback whales!
- 5 full days on the water chasing the Sardine Run
- 2 days diving Aliwal Shoal, home to Oceanic Blacktip Sharks, Whales, Dolphins, Turtles, Rays, and more!
- 3 days of land-based African safari to see the Big 5: Lions, Leopards, Elephants, Rhino, and Buffalo
- Daily photo workshops by photo pro Craig Dietrich
- Travel Insurance Available (not included in trip price): Read More Here
Over the years, the Sardine Run has provided excitement across the globe with numerous shark species, Humpback whales and dolphin super pods joining in the migration. Throw the hyperactive Cape Gannets into the mix and we have “The Ultimate Marine Migration” during the Sardine Run.
This trip includes all accommodations, 5 full days on the water chasing the Sardine Run, and 2 days diving Aliwal Shoal. Your South African experience finishes off in the stunningly picturesque Nambiti Private Game Reserve, a 21,000 acre, Big 5, malaria-free game reserve. The Safari Lodge epitomizes the perfect safari experience with beautiful, luxurious tented suites, excellent service, superb cuisine and prolific wildlife - ensuring an unforgettable experience. Nestled in the heart of the KwaZulu-Natal battlefields, the lodge offers guests a chance to unwind in a picture-perfect setting.
MARINE LIFE TO PHOTOGRAPH
Aliwal Shoal is home to oceanic blacktip sharks, ragged tooth sharks, dusky sharks, occasional tiger sharks, whales, dolphins, turtles, rays, eels, game fish, and more.
During the epic sardine run, you'll be surrounded by dolphins, sharks, diving birds, whales, game fish, seals, and of course millions of sardines that make this one of nature's most awesome events. You'll likely witness passing humpbacks as well.
Mid June - mid July is the best time to witness the Sardine Run.
- Water temperature: Ranges between 15 – 22ºC (59 – 71ºF)
- Avg. visibility: 2 – 30m
- Wetsuit needed: 5 – 7 mm wetsuit is recommended
- Topside temperature: 14 – 25 ºC (58 – 76 ºF)
- Minimum dive qualifications: The minimum requirement to join Sardine Run is Open Water Diver with at least 150+ Dives
- Dinners, Bed & Breakfast.
- 1 night at 32 On Harvey Guesthouse
- 7 nights at Bull's Inn Lodge
- 4 nights of Luxury Tented Accommodation at Nambithi Game Reserve's lodge
- Cylinder and weights needed for all Sardine Run & diving days.
- Snack Lunch Boxes on the boat for Sardine Run water days.
- All transfers during your stay as mentioned in the itinerary.
- Experienced Dive Master & Skipper.
- Two (2) 4 hour Game Drives per person per day at the designated times in Nambithi Game Reserve. ALL GUESTS TO HAVE A WINDOW SEAT TO ALLOW FOR PICTURE TAKING.
- Welcome drink on arrival.
- Tea, coffee, homemade biscuits & rusks from the Tea Station.
- All bar services
- Curio & personal purchases
- Flights & Taxes
- Passports & Visas
- Personal Insurance
- Dive Gear (can be hired)
- Gratuities (budget for approximately R200 per person per day)
- All additional activities not listed and items of a personal nature
- Travel Insurance: click here to learn more about our preferred plan
- Arrival - June 20, 2021
- Arrive into King Shaka Durban Airport.
- Transfer to 32 On Harvey Guesthouse in Umkomaas – (45min drive)
- Day 1 - June 21, 2021
- 2 Dives on Aliwal Shoal (1 Baited Shark + 1 Reef) Overnight at 32 On Harvey
- Day 2 - June 22, 2021
- Morning Transfer to Bull's Inn Lodge
- Day 3 - June 23, 2021
- Sardine Run Water Day 1 – Bull's Inn Lodge
- Day 4- June 24, 2021
- Sardine Run Water Day 2 – Bull's Inn Lodge
- Day 5 - June 25, 2021
- Sardine Run Water Day 3 – Bull's Inn Lodge
- Day 6 - June 26, 2021
- Sardine Run Water Day 4 – Bull's Inn Lodge
- Day 7 - June 27, 2021
- Sardine Run Water Day 5 – Bull's Inn Lodge
- Day 8 - June 28, 2021
- Morning Transfer to Aliwal Shoal after breakfast (approximately 5.5 hours’ drive). Stopping at Mac Banana along the way. We can arrange afternoon activities here.
- Day 9 - June 29, 2021
- 2 Dives on Aliwal Shoal (1 Reef + 1 Reef). Afternoon Transfer to Nambithi Game Reserve (approximately 3.5 hours).
- Day 10 - June 30, 2021
- 4 Hour Morning Big 5 Game Drive + 4 Hour Evening Big 5 Game Drive. MAX 6 Guests per vehicle to ensure everyone has a “window seat”. Free time during the day to relax around the pool.
- Day 11 - July 1, 2021
- Same as Day 10
- Day 12 - July 2, 2021
- Same as Day 10
- Departure Day 12 - July 2, 2021
- 3 Hour Morning Big 5 Game Drive
- 10am: Transfer to the airport for flights after 4pm
The Bull's Inn Lodge is located in the small coastal village of Mpame which lies deep within the Eastern Cape Coastal Homeland, situated between the foothills of the former Transkei Wild Coast. Guests are offered a home-away-from-home atmosphere in the Bull's Inn Lodge, while they relax in the tranquil and rural setting. The Mpame Beach lies only a few meters away from the lodge, making it the perfect place for scuba diving, swimming, surfing, and other water activites.
Craig Dietrich is an award-winning underwater photographer based in Jupiter, Florida. From an early age Craig felt the need to express himself artistically and the first time he picked up a camera, he knew he had found the perfect outlet for his creativity and sparked what would become a life-altering passion for photography. Craig served our country as a Naval photographer during both Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm, when he was given the opportunity to travel the world and his thirst for adventure was born.
After the Navy, Craig learned to scuba dive. Upon breaking the surface the first time, he knew this was a world he wanted to be a part of and a second passion was ignited. Longing to share that world with others, he put together his two greatest loves and ventured into the world underwater photography.
Craig’s underwater photography has been featured in multiple dive publications, won multiple awards and has been sold in upscale galleries from Carmel, California to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. He now makes his living teaching underwater photography and selling his photography at art shows throughout the southeastern United States.
- International flights: Guests should fly into and out of King Shaka International Airport (code: DUR). Departure flight on July 3 must be after 4pm.
- Airport transfers on arrival and departure: Transfers are included in the price.
1st Payment: $1000 - Due 10/1/20
2nd Payment: Balance Due 3/1/21
Call us today at 310-915-6677, email us email@example.com
Or leave us a message in the live chat box
And let us book your dream vacation!
Big 5 Safari