SoCal Shootout 2015
SoCal Shootout 2015!
Join all of Southern California's underwater photographers in a weekend-long photography extravaganza. Dive anywhere in Southern California and submit your photos from the weekend for a chance to win some amazing prizes!
The 2015 SoCal Shootout Registration will open on July 1st.
2014 WINNERS ANNOUNCED!
View the 4th Annual Shootout Winners here:
Get out on a boat and dive!
Bluweater Photo's SoCal Shootout Boat Trips Include:
- 2-day Peace boat (SOLD OUT)
- More boat opportunities will be posted later
Buy online, or Call (310) 633-5052 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to purchase your ticket!
Great prizes - trips, gear, local boats and more!
Pre-Register, then take photos during the contest weekend to be eligible to enter.
Photo & Video Categories
- Compact Wide-Angle
- Compact Macro
- Compact Behavior
- Compact Portrait
- Video - unedited
- Video - edited
Mirrorless camera shooters must enter in the 1st four categories, not any compact camera categories.
Fantastic Prizes - 2015 Sponsors Coming Soon!
Check back for sponsor and prize infomation. We will update this page as more information becomes available.
Check out the 2014 Sponsors below
Please check out the great prizes offered by our sponsors.
2014 SoCal Shootout Platinum Sponsors
Experience the Sea of Cortez and Socorro Islands (aka the Revillagigedos Archipielago) and explore fantastic areas while diving with giant mantra rays, sharks, large yellow fin tuna and wahoo, dolphins, whale sharks and humpback whales. All this from the comfort of the Rocio Del Mar.
Rocio Del Mar is sponsoring a trip to the Sea of Cortez with option to pay for an upgrade to a Socorro Islands trip.
Sea & Sea is one of the best known names in underwater imaging equipment, offering high-quality DSLR housings, strobes and much more.
Sea & Sea is sponsoring several YS-D1 strobes!
Bluewater Travel is a new full service dive travel agency. Run by divers for divers, their expert advisors will help you plan and book your personalized dive vacation. The Bluewater travel team has decades of dive travel experience and many excellent partners for dive travel around the world.
Bluewater Travel is sponsoring the contest with travel vouchers valid around the globe.
2014 SoCal Shootout Gold Sponsors
The Cortez Club is La Paz’s premier diving and watersports center. Established since 1993 it offers a 5 star level of service, quality and professionalism to all its clients. The La Concha Beach Resort is an authentic beach Resort that offers business travelers, families and vacationers a peaceful and mellow atmosphere right in front of the Sea of Cortez.
The Cortez Club and it's partner hotel, La Concha are sponsoring a 4 night package for two at La Concha including 3 days of diving through the Cortez Club.
Recsea is one of the leading manufacturers of high quality aluminum underwater housings. With an emphasis on design and ease of use the Recsea housings tend to be very clean, with well created controls and are often the smallest housings on the market.
A.J. Saito of Recsea is sponsoring an RX100 MKIII housing package with Recsea WHS-RX100MkIII housing and Dual Grip & Tray Assembly.
The Maluku Divers Resort in Laha is one of the must visit locations in any diver’s Indonesian dive list. The only dedicated dive resort in Ambon, the facility was built specifically with divers in mind and boasts the most unique and comfortable accommodations in the whole of Maluku.
Maluku Divers Resort is sponsoring a 4-night package that includes 12 dives.
Bluewater Photo is the premier online and retail shop for underwater photography gear as well as international photo trips. Offering years of experience and expert advice on cameras, housings, strobes and accessories, Bluewater Photo is known for excellent customer service during and after sale.
Bluewater Photo is sponsoring some great prizes for underwater photographers!
2014 SoCal Shootout Silver Sponsors
iTorch produces innovative dive, video and focus lights. With a wide range of lights featuring white, red and even UV beams, I-Torch lights are a favorite of many underwater photographers and videographers.
iTorch is sponsoring on of their brand new Venom 38 high powered video lights.
Channel Islands Dive Adventures (CIDA) organizes fun dive trips to the best dive sites in SoCal and beyond.
CIDA is sponsoring 3 local boat trip spots, including 1 Free 2 Day Trip spot!
Light & Motion is one of the industry leaders for underwater dive and video lights. The popular Sola line has long been the go to light for underwater photography and the new GoBe line brings in a flexibility never before seen in underwater lighting.
Light & Motion is sponsoring a GoBe Action Camera Kit, complete with two GoBe 700 wide lights with dual tray and flex arms, perfect for a small POV camera.
Ikelite has a long history of making strobes, dive lights, underwater housings for DSLR and compact cameras and much more for photographers worldwide since 1962. They're famous for their commitment to excellent customer service.
Ikelite is sponsoring a Vega Video Light!
SUBGEAR has evolved into one of the worldwide leaders in the manufacturing of diving equipment, including gear for kids, gear for lifestyle diving and specialized products for female divers. Their focus on exceptional service has established a solid base of loyal dealers and customers. Despite the growth throughout the years, the company's main philosophy has rememined the same: Experience the Difference.
Subgear is sponsoring an XP-3H Dive computer.
Watershot creates underwater housings and lighting and has become wildly popular for their iPhone housings.
Beneath the Surface was founded by an underwater photographer whorealized there was a need for a better, more innovative approach to the way that underwater camera housings & lighting systems were being joined together. With this singular vision in mind, and the help of some of the best aerospace engineers and machinists available, he designed and produced the very finest underwater accessory product line available today. Everything in the BtS line is proudly made in the U.S.A
Beneath the Surface is sponsoring a set of double ball arms with their new bouyancy float system.
Ultralight is the leading maker of arms, trays and clamps for the underwater photography community - making only high quality products built to last.
Ultralight is sponsoring two $100 gift certificates!
The judges for 2015 will be professional photographer Mark Strickland, Bluewater Photo owner Scott Gietler and a 3rd judge TBD.
This is a virtual contest, but submissions must have been taken on September 12th, 13th or 14th, 2014, anywhere south of Point Conception, CA and north of the Mexico border - including the Channel Islands. Diving by boat or beach is allowed, although we encourage you to get a seat on your local boat.
Registration will be open throughout the contest. We will be sending an official email to all registered participants the evening of September 11, 2014 with instructions on setting camera date to a point in the future. Changing the camera's date will allow us to verify that photos have been taken during the Shootout timeframe. Photographers who register in the hours after the official email is sent out will receive the information as soon as we can process their registration, but this may be several hours.
All photo and video entries will be due by 11:59pm on Monday, September 15th, 2014.
- We pledge to run this contest ethical and with integrity. Judges will not know whose photos or videos they are judging.
- You retain copyright to your photos, and photos will only be used by us when promoting the contest or the winners.
- Please use our upload (ftp) form to submit your photo and video files in the appropriate formats, and for each entry chose one of our 9 categories.
- Photo Format & Editing: JPEG format, at least 2500 pixels at the longest length. Only global changes are allowed as editing. This includes exposure, white balance, saturation, contrast and clarity. No cropping, backscatter removal, cloning, or any local adjustments are allowed. RAW files will be required from all winners to verify date and editing rules.
- Unedited Video Format & Editing: Format must be .mp4, .mov, .m4v or wmv. Each video must be a maximum of :60s in length and can be comprised of no more than a single clips with no transitions, titles, music, etc. Color level and start/end point adjustment is ok. Original formats will be required from all winners to verify date and editing rules that aren't carried over while reformatting.
- Edited Video Format & Editing: Format must be .mp4, .mov, .m4v or wmv. Each video must be a maximum of 120 seconds in length, any music used must be copyright free.
- Photos & video must be taken underwater. Split shots ok.
- All photos & video must have been taken in the ocean on September 12, 13, or 14th, 2014 south of Point Conception and north of the Mexican border or will be automatically disqualified.
- Photos or video taken as a result of harassment to marine life that could be harmful to the subject may be disqualified at the judges' discretion. Fish in photos must be alive.,
- We encourage safe diving and cannot predict diving conditions in Southern California at the time of the contest. Please use your dive training and common sense to dive safely and avoid injury. Bluewater Photo is exempt from all liability whatsoever for any personal injury, property damage or wrongful death of divers registered for the contest.
- Have fun diving in Southern California!
Instructions & Entry Fees
- $40 USD to enter up to 8 images, up to 3 per category
- $40 USD for up to 3 video entries
- Mix-and-match is ok. 1 video = 3 photo entries (i.e. you can enter 1 video and 5 photo entries)
- Enter photos via our upload form, JPEG format, at least 2500 pixels at the longest length. RAW files will be required from all winners
- Enter videos via our upload (ftp) form, .mov or .m4v or .wmv format.
- Please send any questions to email@example.com.
- Payment must be made via the online link. http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com/socal-shootout-registration
View the 2013 Winners:
View the 2012 Winners
View the 2011 Winners
Getting excited to shoot? We hope so.