Nauticam Vacuum Check And Leak Detection System
Newer Version: Push Button Release
Nauticam has just announced its first vacuum check system to insure the watertight integrity of your Nauticam underwater housing. Feel confident when you splash that your housing is properly sealed and safe against water intrusion. This system uses a one way valve and an electronic monotoring system to confirm the housing it water tight.
**Note this system requires the proper vacuum electronics to be installed in your Nauticam Housing. New housing models designed after this release will ship with the electronics installed, however any model designed prior to the vacuum release will have to be sent in to Nauticam USA to have the electronic components installed, this costs $220.00 in addition to the valve. If you have any questions please call us at 310-633-5052**
The circuitry is built into the housings leak detector providing constand monitoring of the vacuum seal which is reported by multi color LED system. All new Nauticam dSLR and mirrorless housing with ship with this circuitry standard. The pump and valves will be purchased seperately so that you may customize the system to suit your needs.
Understanding the LED color codes is very easy. At ambient pressure, the LED slowly blinks blue. When a solid vacuum is achieved, the LED changes to a solid green, indicating system integrity. If the vacuum starts to degrade, the LED begins to flash yellow, and if water intrusion is detected, the LED flashes red, and the audible alarm is sounded.
**Update: The Nauticam Vacuum Circuitry will not work above about 5,000ft elevation. The system will return a false positive as soon as the system is turned on due to the low atmospheric pressure. However, the leak detector will still function if used at altitude**
The second component of this system is a one way vacuum valve, which is available in several styles to support various housing configurations. These Vacuum Valves contain an integrated vacuum release, and a redundant waterproof cap. No tools are required to open the housing after creating a vacuum, as the vacuum is released with a simple knurled nut. The basic valve uses a hand pump to create the vacuum, but a more advanced Dual Activation vacuum valve (Auto Valve) is also available. The Dual Activation Valve accepts a BCD Low Pressure Inflator Hose quick disconnect, and uses tank pressure to create a Venturi effect that pulls the vacuum. This is recommended for housings like Nauticam's DCES for RED EPIC and SCARLET where the internal volume of the housing makes using a hand pump impractical. "Offset" Extension Valves are used when a housing has a single accessory hole, but requires both a Vacuum Valve and electrical bulkhead to be installed in the same location. This will enable most housings to be able to utilize this valuable tool.
Vacuum Valve Options:
- M14 Vacuum Valve (25056)
- M16 Vacuum Valve (25056) - Most Common, standard manual pump valve
- M16 Auto Valve (25058) - Auto Pump, Dual Activation Valve
- M14 Offset Valve (25059) - Offset for Housings with only 1 bulkhead port
- M16 Offset Valve (25060) - Offset for Housings with only 1 bulkhead port
- M16 Offset Auto Valve (25061) - Offset, Auto Pump, Dual Activation Valve
Housing Bulkhead Sizes for use with Vacuum:
- Olympus E-M1*, Panasonic GH4, Sony A7
- Black Magic (Pocket & Cinema), Nikon D7000, Nikon D800*, Nikon D810, Nikon D600, Canon 7D, Canon 5DMKIII*, Canon 6D, Canon 70D, Panasonic GH3, Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus OM-D E-M10
*Off-Set Valve - Use the Off Set Vacuum Valve on housings with only 1 bulkhead like the original D800, when you also need that bulkhead for use with a strobe Sync Cable.
Replacement Valve Cap:
- Nauticam Vacuum Valve Cap Nau-25636 - Compatible with original style valves (25611 / 25612 / 25621 / 25622 Vacuum Valves)
- Nauticam Vacuum Valve Cap Nau-25637 - Compatible with 25613 / 25623 Vacuum Valves
- Nauticam Vacuum Valve Cap NAU-25638 - Compatible with Vacuum Valve II (Fits 25624/25625/25626/25627)