Best DSLR Underwater Camera Choices 2019
For image quality, lens selection, and focusing speed, nothing can match having a full-fledged dSLR for underwater photography. Sure, it will be larger and more expensive than a compact set-up, but the results speak for themselves. Haven't you dreamed of having a professional underwater camera?
So what is the best dSLR camera to use for underwater photography? The Nikon D850 & Canon 5D Mark IV are still very hot right now. The dslr underwater housings for these cameras are excellent quality.
Cropped sensor cameras make both macro and wide-angle easy to shoot underwater. Full-frame sensors really shine for ambient light shots and professional images, with their superior auto-focus, low light capabilities and dynamic range.
Please feel free to call if you have trouble choosing between the models listed below, or want to talk about the best mirrorless cameras versus a dSLR. Our professional and knowledgeable staff can be reached directly at 310-633-5052, or email BWP's owner Scott at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Nikon D850 camera is possibly the best all around DSLR camera in 2019. It features both quick AF speed and high resolution which photographers value above all else. The camera is packed with lots of quality features including the ability to shoot full frame 4K video.
- The D850 expands the resolution on the new backlit CMOS sensor from 36.3 to 45.7 megapixels, while improving the high ISO performance, and maintaining the class leading dynamic range. Base ISO of 64 on the D850 is absolute gold.
- New autofocus system - The D850 borrows the AF system from the flagship D5 and is dramatically faster than its predecessor, the Nikon D810. It is also does an excellent job at locking onto subjects even in dark, low light environments - the center AF point being sensitive down to -4EV
- Capable of full frame 4K Video
- Increased shooting speed and buffer size
- A true professional underwater camera setup
Nikon D850 Underwater Housing Options:
- Nauticam D850 Underwater Housing - Includes vacuum pump circuitry and steel brackets, $3,800
- Ikelite D850 Underwater Housing - Includes vacuum valves and supports TTL, $1,695
- Sea & Sea D850 Underwater Housing - most compact and lightest housing, $3,850
- Aquatica D850 UnderwaterHousing - Long lasting after thousands of dives, $2,895
Nikon D850 Packages Available:
- Sea & Sea Nikon D850 Ultimate Package - $6,944.99
- Nauticam Nikon D850 Ultimate Package - $7,780.35
- Nauticam Nikon D850 Housing, Strobe and Port Package - $4,675.70
Canon 5D Mark IV
Many people think that the D850 has the edge over the 5D Mark IV. But Canon shooters might think otherwise. One thing is for sure - the 5D Mark IV is likely the best DSLR that Canon has ever released and will not limit your underwater photography in any way.
- Choose the 5D Mark IV for the best underwater dSLR video out there
- The Canon 8-15mm fisheye len is sharp and quite versatile for unique wide-angle images
- The Canon 11-24mm WA lens is the widest non-fisheye (rectilinear) lens on the market, and gives amazing sharp images in a large dome port
- Takes great hi-def video! The video bit rate on the 5D Mark IV is much higher than on Nikon dSLR cameras. Dual Pixel autofocus is also a new, practical feature that videographers will find extremely useful
- Canon 5D Mark IV is a full-frame dSLR, offering stunning images with a full spectrum of colors and the best dynamic range of any Canon DSLR. The 5DIV produces very good high ISO results and ISO can be "boosted" to an incredible ISO 102,400 (we advise not ever using this though). It also has vastly improved auto-focus over the previous 5D Mark models.
- Excellent ergonomics and build-quality in the Sea & Sea, Nauticam, and Aquatica housings
Canon 5D Mark IV Underwater Housing Options:
- Sea & Sea 5D Mark IV Underwater Housing - With optional TTL converter, $3,899
- Nauticam 5D Mark IV Underwater Housing - $3,800
- Aquatica 5D Mark IV Underwater Housing - $2,795
- Ikelite 5D Mark IV Underwater Housing - With optional TTL converter for Ikelite strobes, $1,695
Canon 5D Mark IV Packages Available:
- Nauticam Canon 5D Mark IV Ultimate Package - $8,105.35
The Nikon D500 slots in below the D5 and D850 as Nikon's professional level APSC camera. It has become one of the most popular cameras period for underwater shooting and for good reason. It shares the same autofocus system as the D5 and D850 for a much more wallet friendly cost and provides 4k video, 10fps shooting speed, and the best low light/high ISO performance of just about any APSC camera. We have used the camera extensively, and it is amazing. Housings are available from Nauticam, Ikelte, Aquatica and Sea&Sea. Email Scott at email@example.com for his thoughts, as he has used the Aquatica, Sea & Sea and Nauticam housings.
D500 Auto-focus & High ISO Tests:
Read Scott's Nikon D500 Auto-Focus & ISO Test Article to find out how the D500 performs in high-speed shooting scenarios, shooting with high ISOs, demanding auto-focus scenarios, and more.
D500 Underwater Housing Options:
- Nauticam D500 Underwater Housing
- Ikelite D500 Underwater Housing
- Sea & Sea D500 Underwater Housing
- Aquatica D500 Underwater Housing
D500 vs. D7500
The D500 has a much larger buffer than the D7500, and a higher resolution LCD screen. In our opinion, just the higher resolution LCD screen itself is worth the extra $, but you also get better low-light focusing performance - important for underwater macro shooting, plus longer battery life, a magnesium alloy body and dual card slots.
Great White Shark photographed with the Nikon D500 in a Nauticam housing with the Nikonos 13mm lens at Guadalupe, Mexico
Nikon D7500 and Canon EOS Rebel SL3
The Nikon D7500 and Canon EOS Rebel SL3 are both very affordable and packed with lots of awesome features. These are great options for a cropped sensor DSLR camera, and the Ikelite DSLR underwater housing for both of these cameras is excellent. The Ikelite SL3 camera/lens/housing package is one of the best values we've ever seen in a high-end setup.
The Nikon D7500 is a mid-range DSLR camera and it is built to perform. It is a great option for both topside and underwater application. Its sensor is the same as its award winning sibling, the D500. You can save $600 by going for the D7500 over the D500 and get the same image quality, although you will be giving up a number of features mentioned about in our D500 section. It has a built-in auto-focus motor, which means it has no issues auto-focusing lenses like the Tokina 10-17mm fisheye.
Nikon D7500 Underwater Housing Options:
- Ikelite Nikon D7500 Underwater Housing 200DL - $1,694.95
- Nauticam Nikon D7500 Underwater Housing - $3,300
Canon EOS Rebel SL3
The Canon SL3 stands out from its class as it produces high quality results and allows you get underwater and use the Tokina 10-17mm fisheye lens with the Ikelite housing at an amazing price. No other dSLR setup can come close to this value! The camera is small, ultra-portable, and the image quality of its 24 megapixel sensor is great. It is also has dual-pixel autofocus for still shooting and video. Serious amateurs should take a serious look at this package.
Canon EOS Rebel SL3 Underwater Housing Options:
- Ikelite Canon SL3 Underwater Housing 200DL/C - $1,294.95
Canon EOS Rebel SL3 Package - TOP CHOICE:
Best Cameras - Further Reading
- Best Mirrorless Underwater Camera - read about the Nikon Z7, EOS R, Sony A7r III & more
- Best underwater camera - compacts
- Underwater Photo Gear Buyer's Guide - learn about the best housings, strobes, lenses and more