The Nikon D500 was released 7 years after its predecessor, the D300. Photographers were waitng for D400 to be released but it was never made. When Nikon announced the D500, they were excited to hear about its features and they were not disappointed. The camera packs 20.9 megapixel DX format sensor, 153 auto-focus points, 4K video, high ISO performance and a lot more!
Below are the housings that we recommend, use this guide to help you choose which housing would suit your needs. You can also call or email us anytime to discuss options.
Nikon D500 Specs
- 20.7MP APS-C (DX-format) sensor
- 100% circular viewfinder, with 1.0x magnification
- 153 Auto-Focus points
- 180,000 pixel RGB sensor for metering and subject recognition
- 10 fps shooting for up to 200 shots (lossless compressed 14-bit Raw to XQD card)
- ISO 51,200, expandable to ISO 1,640,000
- 4K Video
- Dual card slot - XQD / SDXC
- Dedicated joystick on the rear of the camera for easier moving of focus points
- No low-pass filter for better sharpness
- 2.36M-dot tilting touchscreen display
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity with NFC for setup
- Battery rated for 1,240 shots
- Shutter rated to 200,000 actuations
Read our Review on the Underwater Photography Guide.
The Aquatica housing is built from aircraft grade aluminum and stainless steel alloy which provides utmost protection for your camera. They have also designed it to be compact and lightweight. It also has 4 options for strobe connection to choose from. Aside from that, it also includes the Surveyor Monitoring System which acts as your moisture alarm with an option to add the vacuum valve. All controls are also accessible from the housing.
Aquatica D500 Housing Features:
- Exceptionally good and ergonomic control placement.
- All controls remain accessible in all dive conditions,either cold or warm, gloves or not.
- Comfortable grips.
- Well established and proven system of ports, extensions and accessories to meet your personal lens preferences.
- Secure port locking system and easy access lens release button.
- Quick and simple installation of enhanced viewfinders; no special tools required.
- The comfortable and sturdy hand grips and is also extendable for larger or gloved hands.
- Precise camera mounting via a quick release camera tray with angled rear LCD positioning.
- Two (2) entry point for accessories such as HDMI monitors, remote control or vacuum monitoringsystems.
- Eight (8) threaded standard 1/4''-20 holes, one located on top, three on the bottom and four on the grips, to mount strobe arms, brackets, tripods and a wide range of accessories.
- Depth rating options of 90m or 130m depth at no extra charge (factory installed).
Ikelite is offering 2 types of port system : Four-lock and Dry-Lock Port System.
Ikelite is offering 2 types of port system for the underwater housing for the Nikon D500. The 2 significant difference between the four-lock and dry-lock port system are the o-ring placement on the port and the diameter of lens which can be used. Ikelite also used their new ABS-PC and Lexan material for the housing which provides strength, UV protection and corrosion-free performance. Ikelite offers 3 housing options for the D500: Four-Lock, Dry-Lock (50ft) and Dry-Lock (200ft). It also includes the tray with left handle and vacuum valve.
Ikelite Nikon D500 Housing Features
- Offers 2 types of port system - Four-Lock and Dry-Lock Port System
- Important camera functions are accessible from the housing
- Large knobs and ergonomic button placement.
- Vacuum valve included (pump sold separately).
- Includes Ikelite ICS-5 bulkhead connector with manual hotshoe for reliable electrical triggering of underwater strobes
- Tray with left-hand quick release handle included.
Nauticam produces high quality aluminum housings, with full camera control. Nauticam has also reduced the size and weight. It has also an integrated vacuum monitoring and leak detection system. Nauticam is also well known for creating a variety of useful accessories to pair with their housings for the ultimate underwater set up. This is also the smallest Nauticam for Nikon so far.
Nauticam Nikon D500 Housing Features
- All camera controls accessible and uses a multi-controller and piano keys
- Ergonomic controls with size, shape and color differentiation
- All controls clearly labeled
- Optical flash trigger included
- Card access LED window which provides visibility when card is being accessed.
- Optional internal TTL flash converer
- Integrated vacuum monitoring and leak detection
- Vacuum reset on the port mount
- Stainless steel brackets
- Rubberized grips
- M10 mounting ball
- Depth Rating: 100m
- Weight: 3.2 kg
- Dimensions: 354mm x 188mm x 134mm (W x H x D)
Sea & Sea has built their housing for the Nikon D500 from corrosion-resistant aluminum which provides great protection for your camera. They have also included the grips with the housing. They have also designed the housing to provide ergonomic control for the camera. In addition to that, they made the button labels glow in the dark which makes it easy to read even in low light conditions.
Sea & Sea Nikon D500 Housing Features
- The camera's diopter adjustment dial can be operated from the housing.
- The housing is equipped with a lens-lock release button which enables you to change your lens without opeing the housing
- Equipped with two (2) Fiber-Optic Cable Sockets
- Equipped with one (1) N-Type (2-pin) connector and one (1) HDMI accessory port
- Equipped with two (2) Sacrificial Zinc Diodes (front/rear)
- Compatible with Optional VF45 and VF180 View Finders
- Built-In Leak Detector Sensor
- Body: Corrosion-Resistant Aluminum Alloy (machined)
- Grip: Corrosion-Resistant Die-Cast Aluminum Alloy
- Depth Rating: 100m / 330ft
- Dim. (WxHxD): 341 x 198 x 141mm - 13.9 x 8.3 x 5.6inch
- Weight: Approx. 3,000g / 106oz (housing only)
- Compatible with SEA&SEA Strobes, Sea Arm 8, Fiber-Optic Cable II, Electronic Sync Cords, Leak Sentinel (Vacuum Pump System)
AquaTech housings are well known for their surf housings. It is built with polyurethane material and controls are made from stainless steel, aluminum, and high strength plastics. Essential camera controls are also accessible with the housing. Aquatech offers 2 types of housings for the Nikon D500 - Elite and Compac.
AquaTech D500 Housing Features
- Housing is built from a durable polyurethane material
- Buttons are tactile using stainless steel, aluminum, and high strength plastics.
- Interchangable port system available.
- Quick Release clips with a safety latch
- Available flash bulkhead for attaching Aquatech Flash Housing
View our Nikon D500 Underwater Housing page.