Sea of Cortez Photo Workshop August 2026
Join us for the chance to encounter sea lions, sperm whales, whale sharks, and some awesome macro life! Explore the Sea of Cortez aboard one of Mexicos top liveaboard, the Rocio del Mar.
August 29 - September 5, 2026
Trip Leader: Linda Zath
7 Nights for only $3,095
*Book by Sep 30, 2023, to receive the Early Bird Discount.
Why Join This Trip?
- FREE daily photo workshops
- The Rocio Del Mar is one of the most experienced liveaboards sailing in the Sea of Cortez
- Dive in an area Jacques Cousteau called the Aquarium of the World
- Big animal sightings like whale sharks, sea lions, dolphins, sperm whales and much more
- Easiest liveaboard to access from the US - fly or drive to Phoenix, AZ
- 25% off rental photo gear from Bluewater Photo
Check out this cool video from diving the Sea of Cortez:
This trip offers a great combination of big animals and fascinating macro life. There's always something for everyone. Plus, it's really easy to get to being only a 4-hour drive from Phoenix, AZ.
The Sea of Cortez is home to sea lions, whale sharks, manta and mobula rays, dolphins, and huge schools of fish. Sperm whales, pilot whales, and dolphins are also commonly spotted.
(Middle) Van Gogh patterns on a whale shark on the hunt for krill in Bahia de los Angeles.
(Right) Dolphins in the Morning Light.
It doesn't just stop there as the Sea of Cortez is also a perfect place to practice your macro photography skills. You will get to see nice varieties of nudibranchs, Panamic arrow crabs, Pacific seahorses, jawfish, small and big octopuses, frogfish, and blennies.
(Left) A tiny 1-inch long reveals its position with a colorful dance in a desert of sand.
(Right) The same signal blenny photographed with a saga magic tube
The boat will depart from Puerto Peñasco at 6 pm on Saturday and then travel for 12 hours to arrive the next morning for a 7 am dive. You will be diving 3-4 times per day on this trip. Here's a sample day-by-day itinerary of this trip:
- Day 1 - Embark at 5 pm in Puerto Peñasco. Depart at 6 pm
- Day 2 - Wake up at Refugio Bay on Angel Island
- Potential Dive sites: Angel Rock, La Vela, Lolo’s Cove, Sunset Zodiak Cruise with Sea Lions
- Day 3 - Angel Island
- Potential Dive sites: Andrea’s Eagle, El Aquario, Las Vivoras, Las Vivoras including a night dive
- Day 4 - San Pedro Martir Potential Dive sites: El Arroyo, Punta Martir (Sea Lions), Chayo’s Cove
- Day 5 - San Pedro Martir
- Potential Dive sites: Ravijunco, Xareni’s Pinnacle, Coromel, Morrito, in the afternoon we go looking for whales!
- Day 6 - Salsipuedes & Animas
- Potential Dive sites: Los Cuervos, El Caballo, In Animas, El Lavadero, El Lavadero including a night dive
- Day 7 - Baja and Snorkeling with Whale Sharks in Bahia De Los Angeles
- Potential Dive sites: El Pescador, Baja Ca., start heading back to Puerto Penasco in afternoon
- Day 8 - Disembark at 7 am
- Three meals per day & snacks,
- Beverages including soft drinks, juice, domestic beer & wine
- One morning of whale shark snorkeling, & several dives with a friendly sea lion colony
- Tanks, weights & weight belts
- Transfers from Phoenix airport ($150 roundtrip)
- Park fees ($28)
- Fuel Surcharge, if applicable (none currently)
- Nitrox ($120)
- Mexican Tourist Card: purchased at the border ($36 CASH ONLY)
- Travel Insurance: click here to learn more about our preferred plan
This trip is a PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOP. It will be led by one of our photo instructors and will include daily underwater photography tutorials, in-water photography support, and one-to-one advice and guidance as required.
What to expect from our Photo Workshops
- Daily photo workshops - Your photo instructor will schedule seminars each day on topics including, but not limited to, equipment type and selection, the concept of underwater photography, lighting and composition techniques, and post-processing. They will also include additional topics relevant to the location and your experience.
- In-water support - Where possible, each dive group will spend time underwater with the photo instructor, receiving in-water support and guidance on their shooting techniques. Participants can also request in-water assistance during the workshop and the photo instructor will do his or her best to accommodate all requests.
- Consecutive days of practice & review - Each day you will have the opportunity to practice the techniques and skills learned in the previous day’s tutorials. If you are new to underwater photography you will likely see a vast improvement in just a few days.
- Daily photo image reviews - You are strongly encouraged to bring your laptop, a thumb drive, edit your photos, and submit your shots for review from both the instructor and your peers. These are fun and interactive sessions encouraging you to improve throughout the trip.
- Quality time with fellow photographers - Both new and experienced photographers from past workshops have expressed the advantages of joining a trip with like-minded divers with a passion for underwater photography.
- Suitable for everyone - New and experienced photographers are welcome on all our trips. Gain the necessary skills to start shooting great photos, increase your confidence in finding the best underwater shots, or hone specific skills. We also encourage non-photographers to join, as many of them really enjoy the daily photo reviews, learning about underwater photography, and some have even returned to a photo workshop with an underwater camera setup!
Enjoy free, unlimited access to a wealth of knowledge and advice from your photo instructor.
Rocio Del Mar is one of the most popular liveaboards sailing in the area, offering excellent service and fantastic food. There are 10 cabins for up to a maximum of 20 divers, all offering private bathrooms with hot shower stalls, Western-style toilets, and above-height windows. Cabins are carpeted and have air-conditioning, plus convenient gear and clothes storage drawers beneath the beds.
Check out this page to see more details and customer reviews on the Rocio Del Mar.
Trip attendees will fly in and out of Phoenix, Arizona, which is the closest international airport. You should fly in on Saturday morning (Aug 29th) and arrive before 11 am. For return flights, book anytime after 2 pm (Sep 5th).
Head Out To Rocky Point offers a shuttle service to and from the Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport and takes you directly to the boat. It takes approximately 3.5-4 hours. The cost is $150 per person, round trip. All passengers will be picked up at the Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport at 1pm, Terminal 4, Door 5 outside on the far side of the street. The shuttles are clearly marked Head Out To Rocky Point. The shuttle will stop at the border so passengers can purchase Mexico Tourist Cards. If you choose to stay at a hotel the evening prior, be sure to be back at the airport by 12:30 so you can comfortably get to the shuttle departure area by 1pm. On disembarkation day the shuttle departs the boat at 7am.
Book the round-trip Head Out to Rocky Point Shuttle here: https://www.headouttorockypoint.com/scuba.
About The Trip Leader
Linda Zath has been photographing topside wildlife for decades which grew out of her deep love and respect for all things wild. She spent time rescuing and rehabilitating wildlife which allowed her an intimate view into their personalities and provided unique photo opportunities. As a scuba diver from the age of 15, she enjoys the adventure of exploring underwater with her camera. As a trip leader she brings passion, enthusiasm, and the desire to share every tidbit of knowledge from mastering exposure to final post processing. “I hope to inspire clients to enjoy the journey into underwater photography, from beginner to advanced, as much as I did.” Find out more about Linda here...
- Deposit: $500
- Payment 2: $750 due July 22, 2025
- Payment 3: $750 due January 13, 2026
- Balance: $1,095 due April 14, 2026
Call us today at +1-310-915-6677 or email us firstname.lastname@example.org
And let us book your dream vacation!