Sea & Sea Housing For The Canon 70D
Discontinued. No longer available.
Recommended Lenses & Ports:
- Tokina 10-17mm fisheye - Great for close-focus wide angle, dramatic shots in the Zen 4-inch glass dome and Sea & Sea Zoom Gear.
- Canon 10-22mm - Great for sharks, sea lions, marine life portraits in the Sea & Sea 8-inch dome, Sea & Sea Extension Ring and Sea & Sea Zoom Gear.
- Canon 16-35mm F2.8L II - Best for video, as well as marine life portraits, sharks etc in the Sea & Sea 8-inch Dome, Extension Ring 40 and Zoom Gear.
- Sigma 17-70mm HSM "C" (latest version) - A good mid-range lens in the Sea & Sea 8-inch dome port, Extension Ring and Zoom Gear.
- Canon 60mm EF-S Macro - for general macro, fish in the Flat Port and optional Focus Gear.
- Canon 100mm IS macro - for supermacro, small shy fish & gobies, intimate macro in the Flat port with optional focus gear.
ZEN GLASS DOME PORTS:
Canon 70D Camera:
The Canon 70D includes the same auto focus sensor as the Canon 7D, an articulating touch LCD screen as well as WiFi capability. It contains a brands new 20.2 MP sensor that should allow for phase detection focusing through the viewfinder as well as in live view. Although it has touch screen, all the go-to controls are still available externally. Definitely goinf to be a strong camera in the mid-range dSLR category.
The Sea&Sea Canon 70D Housing:
The housing is exactly what you would expect from the Sea&Sea "MDX" line-up. It is precision machined from a solid brick of aluminum. Great ergonomics and control of the Canon 70D. The housing is corrosion resistant angled controls for ease of use. has a built in leak detector that comes standard with the housing. There is an additional port for HDMI output to an external video monitor for the under water videographer.
Optical TTL Converter:
- Optional optical TTL converter gives you the accuracy of a TTL converter, and the advantages of fiber optics. This is an industry first! Strobes can be rapid-fired
- New highly ergonomic quick-control multi-selector buttons
- Port lock
- Flash pop-up button
- Lens release button
Sea & Sea MDX-70D In Water Review
The MDX-70D is a pleasure to use for both photo and video in the water. Important buttons like Playback and Quick Control are oversized and easy to press, along with comfortable Info, Menu, AF Point Selection and AE Lock buttons. ISO is accessed via lever for quick settings, as well as a red video record lever at the thumb. The Multi-controller can be pushed in any direction for fast AF point change and image review (i.e. diagonal movement). The housing was easy to use with 5 mil gloves, and should feel very nice with bare fingers as well.
Canon 70D underwater housing product video