Ikelite Canon 70D 200DL Underwater Housing (Open Box)
Part #: Ike-71712
Ikelite has been providing underwater housings for cameras at an affordable price. Ikelite has redesigned their underwater housing for the Canon 70D and is now using their DryLock Port System and their new white ABS-PC blend material.
Ikelite Housing Features
- DryLock Port System - This one of the signicant upgrades that was made from its predecessor. This refers to the placement of the o-ring on the outside of the port mount. This improves visibility and reduces the chances of water dropping onto your precious camera sensor. DL ports are the lightest on the market, yet robust and capable of standing up to rough surf. Attachment is quick and secure. A system of extensions can accommodate a huge variety of lenses with ease. Due to differences in mount diameter and zoom engagement, DL and FL system ports cannot be used interchangeably. The DL port mount may be removed using a T15 Torx bit and replaced with old style Port Locks for FL Port System (Set of 4) # 5509.04 for legacy users with standard or modular ports from our Four Lock system. This modification will prevent the use of newer DL ports. The housing cannot be converted back and forth repeatedly.
Please refer to Ikelite's DryLock Port Chart
- Vacuum System - Vacuum valve is included with the housing. It allows you to test the housing and to check for leaks prior to putting your expensive equipment in the water. This provides peace of mind to the photographer that the rig is sealed.
- TTL Exposure - The housings supports your choice of shooting all manual or adding TTL electronics depending on your application. The new modular electronics system allows the housing to be updated with future strobe communications products as they become available. You can still enjoy the fastest and most accurate TTL exposure on the market by adding the Ikelite CT1K Canon TTL Kit and a compatible Ikelite DS strobe. Exposure compensation can be used added or subtracted in the camera
- Control and Setup - In addition to the more ergonomic zoom control, Ikelite has also upgraded the all-important shutter and AF-ON levers to a more natural feeling curved design. Buttons have been redesigned to reduce weight and salt build-up. The back of the housing features laser engraved control symbols which will never fade or fall off.The camera mount is now front-loading for easy installation and removal. A small mounting plate attaches to the bottom of the camera and secures in the front of the housing. The camera mounting plate does not need to be removed from the camera for surface use or when changing the battery or memory cards. The mounting plate features a 1/4-20 threaded mount on the bottom so that it can be attached to a tripod on the surface.
- Tray and Left Handle - The housing includes the tray base with left-hand Quick release handle.
- Strobe Connection - Sea & Sea, Inon, and Retra strobes with an electrical connection can be triggered in manual exposure modes using an electrical sync cord. Strobes without an electrical sync cord connection cannot be attached to this system unless slaved off of a hard-wired strobe. Fiber optic only strobes are not compatible with this installation. An external strobe must be connected by electrical sync cord.
Ikelite Canon 70D Recommended Lenses for Underwater:
- Tokina 10-17mm fisheye for wide-angle, coral reefs, mantas, whale sharks
- Canon 10-22mm for wide-angle, sharks, skittish marine life
- Canon 60mm EF-S for macro
- Canon 100mm for skittish small fish, supermacro
About Canon 70D Camera:
The 20 megapixel Canon 70D effectively replaced the Canon 7D as Canon's best cropped-sensor dSLR, and competes directly with the Nikon D7100, at a similar price point with many similar specs. For still photography, the D7100 has the auto-focus edge with 51 auto-focus points vs 19 for the Canon 70D, but the Canon 70D boasts superior autofocus during video.
Canon 70D Sample Underwater Video: