Ikelite Canon 80D DryLock Underwater Housing (Open Box)
Part #: Ike-71710
The Ikelite housing for the Canon 80D provide great ergonomics, buttons are well placed and easy to access. Control symbols are also engraved and will not fade. The front-loading camera mounting system makes installation and removal a breeze. The camera mounting plate allows ready access to the battery and memory card, and features a standard 1/4-20 mounting point for attachment to a tripod topside. Truly, this is a great housing for the Canon 80D camera.
Ikelite Canon 80D Housing Features:
The DryLock Port System is robust and easy to assemble. It is also lighter and can accomodate lenses with large diameter. If you're considering shooting professional quality lenses like the Canon EF 16-35mm Type II/III or the Canon EF 11-24mm, then the DL system is essential.
Most popular zoom lenses and select lens focus rings can be engaged using a simple yet effective gearing system that puts adjustment right at your fingertips. A large, soft-touch lobed knob on the side of the housing makes fine tuned adjustments a breeze. Zoom and focus gears differ depending on which lens you are using. All are lightweight and affordable. Zoom gears sold separately.
* The DryLock and FourockL system ports cannot be used interchangeably.
The included vacuum valve allows you to vacuum test the housing to check for leaks prior to putting your expensive equipment in the water. Combined with a full view of the camera and o-ring seal through the back of the housing, there is no greater assurance that your gear will be safe. Our signature open-groove design suspends the rear o-ring in a natural position that is easier to maintain and more reliable than forcing the o-ring into a channel. Use of the vacuum valve requires a compatible Vacuum Pump with Gauge, sold separately.
This housings supports your choice of shooting all manual or adding TTL electronics depending on your application. Our new modular electronics system allows the housing to be updated with future strobe communications products as they become available. The flash bulkhead has been moved to the top of the case for improved cord routing and reduced strain. Reliable locking connectors between the hotshoe and bulkhead make it easy to install the optional TTL electronics or carry back up parts when traveling to remote locations.
You can still enjoy the fastest and most accurate TTL exposure on the market by adding the CT1K Canon TTL Kit and a compatible Ikelite DS strobe. Exposure compensation can be used added or subtracted in the camera.
* The camera's built-in flash cannot be used inside of the housing. External strobes must be capable of accepting an electrical sync cord connection.
Controls and Set-Up
In addition to the more ergonomic zoom control, we've also upgraded the all-important shutter and AF-ON levers to a more natural feeling curved design. Both controls can optionally be extended using the Shutter Trigger Extension # 4077.93 for more comfortable use when using a right-hand quick release handle.
Even our push buttons have been redesigned to reduce weight and salt build-up. The back of the housing features laser engraved control symbols which will never fade or fall off.
The camera mount is now front-loading for easy installation and removal. A small mounting plate attaches to the bottom of the camera and secures in the front of the housing. The camera mounting plate does not need to be removed from the camera for surface use or when changing the battery or memory cards. The mounting plate features a 1/4-20 threaded mount on the bottom so that it can be attached to a tripod on the surface.
The included Supereye Viewfinder provides an enhanced view of the camera's optical viewfinder when viewed through a dive mask. The viewfinder removes quickly and easily for the attachment of an optional Straight Magnified Viewfinder or 45° Magnified Viewfinder.
Handling & Travel
Overall the housing is over 1/2 pound lighter than its former FL counterpart (housing model # 6871.08). If you're shooting an 8" diameter dome, you'll save an additional 1 3/4 pounds by using the DL version instead.Our new hard anodized aluminum base with quick release handle has also been streamlined for travel and is over 3/4 pound lighter than our previous DSLR tray and handle system. The Right-Hand Quick Release Handle # 4077.02 (sold separately) can be added or removed depending on how you want to shoot. The precision machined aluminum base features 1/4-20 tripod mounting sockets and additional mounting locations for future accessories. Plus, the base and handle can be quickly removed when breaking down your system for travel.
A 1/4-20 threaded mounting point is located front and center on the housing above the lens port mount. This mount can be used to attach lightweight accessories like a focus light or GoPro camera.
If you're shooting with two strobe or lighting arms, then a top handle can be added to make the system easier to carry to and from the dive site. Top handles are available in a Cable Grip # 4080.07 or Aluminum Top Handle # 4080.08. The rigid aluminum version provides additional mounting points for lighting and accessories.
Our new white ABS-PC blend front is stronger than its clear counterpart, provides improved contrast and visibility, and keeps your camera running cooler in the sun.Like its predecessor and all of our housings, this product is made in the USA, individually inspected for fit, and water pressure tested to 200 feet (60m).
Ikelite Recommended Lenses for Underwater:
- Tokina 10-17mm fisheye for wide-angle, coral reefs, mantas, whale sharks
- Canon 10-22mm for wide-angle, sharks, skittish marine life
- Canon 60mm EF-S for macro
- Canon 100mm for skittish small fish, supermacro
Ikelite Port Recommendations:
- Choose your ports and port bodies in the "add a port" section above
- The Zen 4-inch glass dome for Ikelite is the best choices for the Tokina 10-17mm fisheye lens, it is small and light, and you can get close to the subject; however you cannot do over/under split shots
- The Ikelite 8-inch dome port is a good choice for over/under shots with fisheye or wide-angle lenses, and an 8-inch or larger dome is required for non-fisheye wide-angle lenses like the Canon 10-22mm; this dome also required a "port body" that extends the dome out to its proper position
- The Zen 8-inch glass dome or Zen-9 inch glass domes are more expensive, but they are the best choice for over/under split shots and optical quality.
- Macro lenses use one of the Ikelite flat ports
Canon 80D Features:
- New 45-point all cross-type AF system
- Intelligent viewfinder with approximately 100% viewfinder coverage
- Newly Developed 24.2 Megapixel (APS-C) CMOS sensor
- DIGIC 6 image processor for enhanced image quality
- Improved Dual Pixel CMOS AF for smooth, fast and accurate autofocus with video and stills using live view
- 1080/60p Full HD video that can be saved in MP4 format for quick and easy sharing
- Improved ISO range of 100 - 16000 for photo and 100 - 12800 for video, both expandable to 25600.
- Vari-angle Touch Screen 3.0-inch Clear View LcD II monitor
- Built-in WiFi and NFC
Similar Product - Canon 70D Sample Underwater Video