Ikelite DS230 213Ws TTL Strobe with Modeling Light
Read the full Ikelite DS230 strobe review on the Underwater Photography Guide
The Ikelite DS230 is the latest addition to the DS strobe series from Ikelite. It has improved ergonomics - larger and taller controls for easier control even while wearing thick gloves. The large control diameter allows all control positions to be located within a defined semi-circle. When adjusting strobe exposure manually it’s important to be able to change powers intuitively without looking at the strobe. Click-stops at each power setting and a limited sweep allow you to quickly jump between TTL, full power and the lowest manual power setting without taking your eyes off your subject. In addition, the new slide lock safety feature prevents the strobe to be turned on accidentally.
The new circuitry provides a faster recycle time. The strobe also uses the new circular xenon flashtube for a perfectly gradated beam pattern and warm color temperature. A 5000K color temperature balances with available light underwater to provide richer coloring and deeper blue water backgrounds when shooting wide angle. Models' skin tones will look more natural and reds and oranges will pop with more vibrant color.
For power, it is 33% more powerful than its siblings and has an ultra-wide 120º field of view with no hotspots.
Another fantastic new feature is that the strobe has an integrated 205 lumens modeling light. It also has a sensor which automatically turns of when taking a photo!
Good news for users who wants to upgrade their older model DS strobes, the battery is backwards compatible. You can use your batteries with the new strobe head.
- Fiber Optic Cable
- Electronic Sync Cable
The Ikelite DS230 in the field
Sample Underwater Images:
A silvertip shark photographed with dual DS230 strobes without diffusers. There are no hotspots - only clean, soft light
Beautiful colors captured with a single Ikelite DS230 strobe. I absolutely love the 5000K color temperature!
A school of jacks photographed with a single Ikelite DS230 strobe. Using one strobe gives it a dramatic, gloomy look. Keep in mind, I was not using a diffuser here - look at that beam angle! f/13, 1/125, ISO 250
Related Underwater Gear Categories:
- Depth rating: 100 meters (330 feet)
- Power: 4 to 213 Ws
- Coverage angle: 120º without diffuser
- Power Control: 10 stops in 1/2-stop increments
- Modeling light: 205 lumen LED
- Color temperature: Daylight 5000K
- Guide number at 1m (ISO 100): 32 full power
- Flashes per charge: 300 to thousands dependent on power setting
- Recycle time: 0.1 to 1.2 seconds dependent on power setting
- Electrical sync connection: Ikelite ICS 5-pin bulkhead
- Battery: 7.2V 3300mAh NiMH rechargeable
- Dimensions: 91 mm diameter x 179 mm length (3.6" x 7")
- Weight with battery: 1243 grams (2.7 pounds)
- Buoyancy: Slightly negative in salt water
- DS230 Strobe Front # 40230X
- Rechargeable NiMH Battery Pack # 40066GY
- Battery Pack Cover # 0591.4
- Smart Charger for NiMH with USA Plug
- 1" Ball Mount # 4081.4 (installed)
- Waterproof bulkhead cap # 9104.7
- Silicone lubricant 1cc tube
- 2 year limited warranty