Best Canon Cameras for Underwater (2019)
Canon 1DX Mark II
The Canon 1Dx Mk II is one of Canons "powerhouse" professional cameras. The camera utilizes a 20.2 megapixel full-frame sensor in combination with dual DIGIC 6+ image processors - giving it awesome low light capabilities, plus a 61-point AF system and can shoot up to 16 fps. For video, it can capture 4K 60P of full HD 1080p at 120p. It's a killer flagship camera for underwater photography and Canon's top of the line camera.
Canon 1DX Mark II Underwater Housing Options:
Nauticam Housing - High-quality aluminum, great ergonomics, vacuum electronics included, and it uses a helpful patented port locking system which does not require rotation of the port.
Aquatica Housing - Features high-quality aluminum and robust design. Full camera controls accessible while in the housing. It readily accepts a full selection of ports, viewfinders, wet lenses, and more.
Canon 5D Mark IV
Canon 5D Mark IV is a full-frame dSLR, offering stunning images with a full spectrum of colors and the best dynamic range of any Canon DSLR. The 5DIV produces very good high ISO results and the ISO can be "boosted" to an incredible ISO 102,400 (we advise not ever using this though). It also has vastly improved auto-focus over the previous 5D Mark models.
Canon 5D Mark IV Underwater Housing Options:
- Sea & Sea 5D Mark IV Underwater Housing - $3,899
- Nauticam 5D Mark IV Underwater Housing - $3,800
- Aquatica 5D Mark IV Underwater Housing - $2,795
- Ikelite 5D Mark IV Underwater Housing - $1,695
Canon 5D Mark IV Packages Available:
- Nauticam Canon 5D Mark IV Ultimate Package - $8,105.35
Canon EOS R
The Canon EOS R is Canon’s first full-frame mirrorless camera. The EOS R did not receive the same hype bestowed to Sony’s A7RIII or Nikon’s Z7, but those are high standards and varying circumstances. The EOS R would surely not disappoint if that's the camera you are considering. The Canon EOS R is characterized by a 30.3MP sensor, excellent AF performance, and a lovely touchscreen. The EOS R is a very capable camera and will prove to be a great alternative to loyal EOS DSLR owners looking for a lightweight, run-and-gun camera. Mirrorless seems to be the future of the professional camera market and if you are a loyal Canon shooter looking to expand into the more compact mirrorless world, this is the system for you.
- Ikelite Canon EOS R Underwater Housing - $1,695
- Sea & Sea Canon EOS R Underwater Housing - $3,495
- Nauticam Canon EOS R Underwater Housing - $3,300
Canon G7X Mark II
The Canon G7X II is a tiny camera with a large 1-inch sensor, a direct competitor to the Sony RX100 series cameras. It is an excellent, fast-focusing camera with great image quality and has dedicated macro focus. The camera also boasts improved auto-focus capability and battery life over the G7X, a new time-lapse mode, and significantly improved high-speed continuous shooting speeds.
With all of these features at an affordable price, we consider the Canon G7X II as the "best overall value" against competing compact cameras in its line.
Canon G7X II Underwater Housing Options:
- Recsea G7X II Aluminum Housing - $995
- Recsea G7X II CW Housing - $499
- Nauticam G7X II Housing - $1,100
- Fantasea G7X II Housing - $399.95
- Ikelite G7X II Housing - $550
* We recommend the Recsea or Nauticam Housings for best controls.
Canon G7X II Packages Available:
- Ultimate Fantasea G7X Mark II Package - $1,309.75
- Fantasea G7X Mark II Housing, Camera and YS-03 Strobe Package - $1,249
- Fantasea G7X Mark II Housing and Camera Bundle - $929.95