Sea & Sea YS-D3 DUO Strobe
The Sea & Sea YS-D3 DUO is a high-specification underwater strobe with three shooting modes: DS-TTL, RC mode, and manual.
The YS-D3 DUO delivers even and uniform light distribution with a large light output of GN33.
Custom settings allow the strobe to be used with high precision with a variety of cameras and shooting styles.
Check out our original Sea & Sea YS-D3 Review at Bluewater Photo and the YS-D3 Review on the Underwater Photography Guide
The Sea & Sea YS-D3 DUO underwater strobe is an excellent choice for underwater photographers who own OM SYSTEM digital cameras. This underwater strobe is fully compatible with the "Wireless RC Flash System" of OM SYSTEM digital cameras, allowing the camera to control the flash output automatically based on the brightness through the lens. Compared to the TTL mode of typical underwater strobes, the RC System provides more precise light control through digital optical signals. However, the YS-D3 DUO still offers the flexibility to adjust the amount of light manually or choose between flash and non-flash modes. Moreover, in addition to TTL auto shooting in conjunction with the camera, the camera can adjust the flash output compensation during TTL auto shooting, making it an ideal tool for capturing stunning underwater photos.
Sea & Sea YS-D3 Duo Features:
- Maximum Guide Number 33 (on land)
- Newly developed aspherical troidal lens on the flash tubes provides even light dispersion, no hotspots are produced
- Native beam angle of 105 X 80 degrees with no diffuser
- Wide beam angle of 120° (with included diffuser) or can even wider (150°) with the optional diffuser
- Battery life: 220 flashes with Ni-MH batteries (4X AA)
- Recycle time: 1.7 seconds at full power, 0.6 seconds at GN 22, no recycle time below GN 16!
- Color temperature: 5800K. 5500K with a diffuser
- Large capacity condensers
- Firing the strobes at Guide Number 16 the strobe can continuously fire without any interval time
- Two-stage signal - Visual and Audible notification that the strobe is ready to fire
- Has a pre flash cancel mode
- Improved power of target light which can be used as a dive light also. It is also adjustable in 2 steps
- Auto power off when the strobe is left turned on for a long time
- Over pressure relieve valve
- Dimensions: 3.6 X 4.4 X 5.8 inches
- Weight: 610g/21.5 oz (above water), -20g/0.7 oz (underwater)
A High Performance Strobe
Experience superior lighting performance with our newly designed underwater strobe. The advanced circuitry and light-emitting unit produce a powerful guide number of 33, while the high-precision aspherical optical troidal lens ensures even light distribution from the center to the edge. With the standard accessory Diffuser, the strobe's beam angle can increase to 110°, providing ample coverage for a wide range of shooting scenarios. For even wider coverage, the optional Dome diffuser can increase the beam angle up to 150° (TBD). Upgrade your underwater photography game with this versatile and powerful strobe.
Capture stunning shots in low-light environments with our highly effective backlight panel. The indicator color on the back of the YS-D3 changes depending on the mode selected. In DS-TTLII mode, the indicator is blue, while in RC mode, it's red. When in manual mode with pre-flash, the indicator is yellow, and in manual mode without pre-flash, it's green. This color-coding system makes it easy to see the positioning of the operation system, even when night diving. With this advanced feature, you can focus on your underwater photography, even in the darkest environments.
|In DS-TTLII mode||In RC mode||In manual non pre-flash mode|
The mode switch allows one-touch switching between "DS-TTL," "RC mode," and "Manual" modes:
The precision of DS-TTL dimming has been significantly elevated through the integration of an innovatively crafted light-reception sensor. Through the meticulous configuration of personalized preferences, it becomes exceptionally adept at achieving pinpoint accuracy across an extensive array of cameras spanning various renowned brands.
*When using TTL shooting with a camera of a brand other than OLYMPUS (OLYMPUS), select DS-TTL as the shooting mode.
*When shooting with DS-TTL, prior custom setting is required for each camera.
2. 11 Step Manual Mode
With manual control, one has the power to fine-tune light intensity across 11 distinctive increments. These precise settings, denoted as (GN: 1 / 1.4 / 2 / 2.8 / 4 / 5.6 / 8 / 11 / 16 / 22 / 33), are effortlessly discernible on the luminance adjustment dial's graduated scale. This exceptional feature caters seamlessly to digital cameras devoid of pre-flash capabilities, ensuring compatibility and optimal lighting control.
*Only manual flash is available, but if your camera housing is equipped with a strobe connector/converter connector, you can also use a sync cord to connect the strobe.
Customizations of Shooting Modes
The YS-D3 DUO can be set up with high precision to accommodate a variety of shooting styles with different cameras by making custom settings. Refer to the table for settings according to the shooting mode used and the method of synchronizing the camera and strobe.
1. Shooting in DS-TTL mode and manual mode
* Click here to shoot with DS-TTL using an optical/TTL converter.
* When shooting in DS-TTL/Manual using the built-in flash.
2. Shooting in RC mode
When shooting in RC mode with an OM SYSTEMS (OLYMPUS) camera, no custom settings are required. Select "RC mode shooting" in the flash mode setting on the camera side; YS-D3 DUO should be set to "RC" for shooting mode.
*For details on "RC mode shooting," please refer to the user's manual of the camera to be used.
Presenting an exceptional high-performance strobe meticulously designed to enhance light quality. Its remarkable high luminous flux, coupled with an expansive beam angle, proves highly advantageous for capturing stunning wide-angle photographs using fish-eye lenses and other broad-view optics. Additionally, this strobe incorporates our exclusive cutting-edge light distribution technology, setting it apart from the rest.
High Light Intensity Guide Number 33 - The light output has a guide number (GN) of 33, one of the highest among general-purpose underwater strobes. The use of two discharge tubes increases power and achieves GN 33 at full flashing.
Uniform and even light distribution - The originally developed "aspherical toroidal lens" is placed in front of the light-emitting tube, and the two discharge tubes and the "aspherical toroidal lens" provide uniform and even light distribution to the periphery, making it an ideal light source for external illumination.
Adjust beam angle with diffuser - The beam angle is 80°×105° without the diffuser and 100°×110° with the included diffuser for soft lighting.When the optional dome diffuser is attached, the beam angle increases to 150°×170°. The dome diffuser is effective when using a fisheye lens or when lighting with soft light (guide number is reduced by approximately -1.5 EV).
Usability & Operability
The primary focus was on ensuring a user-friendly experience, particularly in underwater scenarios. The more you engage with the product, the more you'll come to value its effortlessly maneuverable dial, highly visible panel display, and optimal equilibrium beneath the water's surface.
Large Dial - Executing underwater tasks is facilitated through utilization of the mode switch and the dial for controlling light intensity. These generously-sized dials feature a slip-resistant surface, while their distinct elevation variations ensure effortless usage even when donning bulky gloves. The intricate design incorporates incremental stopping points, employing a satisfying click-click mechanism, thus effectively mitigating the risk of operational glitches.
Easy-to-use Backlit Panel - The indicator's hue shifts every time the mode switch is adjusted. When in DS-TTLII mode, it radiates a tranquil blue; in RC mode, it exudes a passionate red; assuming manual mode with pre-flash, it gleams a warm yellow; and finally, in manual mode without pre-flash, it emits a soothing green. These distinctive colors serve for quick recognition, enabling effortless identification of control positioning even amidst nocturnal dives.
Underwater Bouyancy - The YS-D3 DUO boasts an extraordinary lack of buoyancy when outfitted with its ball mount and clamp. Its robust design is tailored to manage substantial underwater weight effortlessly, necessitating minimal force for clamp operation. Unlike its counterparts, the YS-D3 DUO remains impervious to buoyancy concerns, ensuring seamless performance. Whether adjusting the strobe placement or fine-tuning the underwater configuration, the equilibrium of the housing system remains consistently stable, yielding an experience of unparalleled ease and control.
Focus Lights - The functionality of the LED target light comes in handy for precise focal points and assessing the strobe's beam angle. You have the option to select between 300 lumens or 150 lumens, tailoring it to the specific requirements of your scenario.
Power Source - The energy is derived from ubiquitous AA batteries, readily available across the market. A set of four identical units are employed (including 1.5V AA alkaline batteries and 1.2V AA nickel-hydrogen batteries). The battery compartment employs a user-friendly bayonet mechanism, alleviating stress on the O-ring. This design ensures effortless accessibility, contrasting with the need for exertion characteristic of traditional screw-in methods.
- 5-Pin Sync Cord/N
- Fiber Optic Cable
Recommended Cords and Cables for the Sea & Sea YS-D3:
- Sea & Sea Fiber Optic Cable
- Sea & Sea Fiber Optic Cable (Long)
- Sea & Sea Single Sync Cord
- Sea & Sea Dual Sync Cord
- Nauticam Universal Fiber Optic Cable
- Ikelite Sync Cord for Sea & Sea Strobe
- Ikelite Sync Cord for Dual Sea & Sea Strobe
- iTorch Fiber Optic Cable
Optional Accessories for the Sea & Sea YS-D3 Duo:
It's pretty clear to us that when Sea & Sea was designing the YS-D3, they were addressing every concern they've ever heard about their strobes. Many of these concerns were answered in the form of strobe accessories that make our mouths water! We might just be seeing a golden age of innovation for Sea & Sea. Check out some of our favorite accessories for the YS-D3:
1. Sea & Sea YS-D3 Snoot - the YS-D3 snoot will allow you to produce dramatic lighting and capture beautiful black backgrounds easily with your YS-D3. It has a prism built in so that the target light of the strobe will easily illuminate the subject.
2. Sea & Sea YS-D3 Dome Diffuser - the dome diffuser for the YS-D3 produces a nice, even, 150 degree beam. This is great for wide angle photography, especially with a fisheye lens.
3. Sea & Sea YS-D3 Slave Prism - The slave prism allows the strobe to be triggered remotely without any cords or cables. This is great for backlighting wrecks, caves, and reefscapes.
4. Sea & Sea YS-D3 Strobe Diagonal Ball Mount - The diagonal ball mount has a 35 degree inclination which minimizes interference between the sync cord and ball mount.
Please read about our first look at the Sea & Sea YS-D3 Duo underwater strobes
Sample Underwater Images taken with Sea & Sea YS-D3 Duo:
The aspherical toroidal lens allows for even light distribution to the periphery of the image
Capturing quick sequences of photos is easy with a quick recycle time! In these dark conditions, we didn't need to use more than half power
Related Underwater Gear Categories:
- Sea & Sea Housings, Strobes and Accessories
- Underwater Strobes & Flashes
- Underwater Video Lights
- Snoots for Underwater Strobes
- Connection: 5-pin Sync Cord/N and Fiber Optic Cable
- Color Temperature: 5600K
- Depth Rating: 100m / 330ft.
- Dimension: 91 x 111 x 147mm / 3.6 x 4.4 x 5.8in
- Weight on Land: 610g
- Weight Underwater: -20g including batteries & ball mount
- Sea & Sea YS-D3 Duo (Yellow)
- Ball Mount Adaptor
- Silicon Grease