Sony 70-200mm F2.8 FE GM OSS II Lens
The Sony 70-200mm F2.8 FE GM OSS II Lens is part of the G Master series for Sony's mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras. It delivers ultra-crisp edge to edge sharpness, reduces chromatic aberration and produces smooth and clean bokeh and minimal aberrations twith its oneaspherical elements, two extra-low dispersion elements, and two Super ED elements in the optical design. It also features Nano AR coating, which significantly reduces reflections, flares and ghosting. This is the newer Mark II version which builds upon the things we loved about the older Mark I but improves it in many ways.
70-200mm telephoto zoom lenses are the go-to choice for photographers regardless of the system they shoot. Almost all manufacturers make a 70-200mm telephoto lens which is a testament to how versatile they are and is why it's not surprising Sony offer this focal length in their prestigious G Master lineup of lenses. A constant aperture of F2.8 means the Sony 70-200mm GM performs well in low light conditions when shot wide open and can produce pleasing bokeh. To ensure the bokeh is as visually appealing as possible, this lens incorporates an 11-blade circular aperture design.
As with all Sony lenses that have their proprietary Optical SteadyShot (OSS) image stabilization built-in, the 70-200mm F2.8 can capture pin-sharp images even when handheld, especially when used in combination with an IBIS-capable body.
Compared with other similar telephoto zoom lenses, the Sony 70-200mm F2.8 is relatively light; it weighs only 2.3lbs., about 29% lighter than the older Mark I version, a welcome change. It also now comes with a dedicated aperture ring that can be de-clicked to allow for smooth, silent operation when shooting video.
Difference from Previous Model
- Less glass elements - from 23 to 17 elements
- 29% Lighter
- Improved minimum focus distance
- Reconfigured Autofocus motor - 4x faster & 30% more accurate
- More switches for more control
- Redesigned lens hood
Sony 70-200mm F2.8 FE GM OSS Lens Features
- E-mount lens
- Part of the G Master lens series
- Compatible with APS-C models
- Constant maximum F2.8 aperture
- F22 minimum aperture
- Two ED elements & two super ED elements
- One XA element & two aspherical glass elements
- Four XD linear motors make autofocus lightning-fast
- Nano AR coating
- Dust and moisture-sealed
- 11 rounded aperture blades
- 3.15 ft. minimum focusing distance
- 77mm filter thread diameter
- Smooth manual focus ring
- Sony 70-200mm F2.8 FE GM OSS Lens
- Sony 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 FE GM OSS Lens
- Sony 200-600mm F5.6-6.3
- Sony 600mm F4 FE GM OSS Lens