Ikelite Canon EOS R5 Underwater Housing
The Ikelite Canon EOS R5 underwater housing is the top polycarbonate housing on the market for the Canon EOS R5. The housing is crafted from a ABS-PC that will not corrode in even the harshest saltwater conditions. Due to the nature of ABS-PC, the Ikelite EOS R5 housing is rugged and requires minimal maintenance. The housing is lightweight and has better buoyancy than other housings on the market - making it very easy to shoot underwater. The Ikelite Canon EOS R5 housing is small and compact which makes it great to bring when going on dive trips. Finally, ergonomics in this EOS R5 housing are elegant. The Button and lever locations have been well designed to make your shooting experience wonderful even when wearing thick gloves.
All Ikelite DL housings are complete with a built in vacuum system that introduces an extra layer of safety to the system. All you need to do, is vacuum seal the housing with a simple pump which comes with a pressure gauge to monitor for leaks. The seal will remain tight underwater, ensuring that your housing stays watertight. This housing also has a clear back panel which makes it really easy to see your camera settings as well as monitor the EOS R5 housing for any potential issues.
Underwater Housing Features:
- DL Port System - The housing uses the DL Port System. The system o-ring placement is located outside the port mount which improves the o-ring visibility and reduces the chances of water dropping. It attaches quickly and securely. When using zoom lenses and select lens focus rings can be engaged using simple gearing that puts adjustment right at your fingertips. A large, soft-touch knob on the side of the housing makes fine-tuned adjustments a breeze. This is one of our favorite gear knobs on any housing. Yeah, it's just a knob, but it isn't until you use an Ikelite housing that you realize how nice it can be to have a large knob!
- Vacuum System - The housing includes vacuum valve, along with the optional Ikelite Pump with Gauge allows you to draw out air and check if your housing is completely sealed before diving. This provides you the peace of mind and assurance that your camera is safe inside the housing while underwater.
- M16 Accessory Port - A spare M16 accessory port provides an attachment point for third-party accessories including HDMI bulkheads.
- TTL Exposure - The housing supports both shooting in manual or with TTL. The included manual hotshoe with Ikelite ICS-5 bulkhead supports manual strobe exposure with a wide variety of strobes including Ikelite, Sea & Sea, Inon and others. We recommend the Ikelite DL5 DS Link TTL Converter and CT1 TTL Hotshoe with the compatible Ikelite DS strobes provides a fast and accurate TTL exposure.
- Control and Setup - The ergonomics on Ikelite housings is great. The shutter and AF-ON levers stand out with super sensitive and natural feeling curved levers. All push-button controls are machined and hard anodized aluminum to reduce weight and resist salt build-up. The back of the housing is laser engraved with control symbols which will never fade or fall off. The camera mount is front-loading for easy installation and removal. A small mounting plate attaches to the bottom of the camera and secures in the front of the housing.
- Viewfinder - The housing includes the Super-Eye Viewfinder provides an enhanced view of the camera's optical viewfinder when viewed through a dive mask. The viewfinder removes quickly and easily for the attachment of an optional Straight Magnified Viewfinder (Type 1) or 45° Magnified Viewfinder (Type 3)
- Strobe Connection - An external strobe must be connected via an electrical sync cord. Non-Ikelite strobes can be triggered in manual exposure modes.
- New 45 Megapixel Full-Frame CMOS Sensor and Digic X processor
- Canon's first 5 axis In-Body Image-Stabilization (IBIS) which works in conjunction with optical IS RF and EF lenses. Up to 8 stops of correction
- Improved Dual Pixel II Autofocus
- 5,940 AF points
- 100% of the sensor has AF coverage!
- ISO 100 - 51,200
- Animal eye AF detection (for birds, cats, and dogs) - we'll see if it works for fish!
- 12fps burst shooting with mechanical shutter
- 20 fps burst shooting with silent (electronic shutter)
- 180 shot RAW image buffer
- Dual card slots - 1x CFexpress and 1x SD UHS-II
- 8K video @ 30p, 10- bit 4:2:2 - using the full width of the sensor!
- Internal RAW and C-Log recording
- 4K oversampled video up to 120p, 10-bit 4:2:2
- 5.69 million dot OLED Electronic Viewfinder
- Dimensions: 135.8 X 97.5 X 88mm
- Weight: 738 grams (with card and battery)
Canon EOS R5 Underwater Photo and Video Review
Canon EOS R5 Camera Review:
Learn more about the camera features and why we love it for underwater photography in our full Canon EOS R5 Camera Review.
Canon EOS R5 in an Ikleite EOS R5 Housing during our field tests (accessories and camera not included with housing purchase)
Sample Underwater Images with the Canon EOS R5
Spectacular resolution with the Canon EOS R5. Photo of a mosshead warbonnet captured with the Canon EOS R5 in an Ikelite housing, Canon 100 mm macro lens, dual Ikelite DS 161 strobes, Kraken +13 diopter, and Ikelite Canon TTL converter. f/16, 1/160, ISO 100
Photo of a yawning sculpin with the Canon EOS R5 in an Ikelite housing, Canon 100 mm macro lens, dual Ikelite DS 161 strobes, and Ikelite Canon TTL converter. f/8, 1/160, ISO 160
A moon jelly under the sun captured with the Canon EOS R5 in an Ikelite EOS R5 housing, Canon 8-15mm fisheye lens, dual Ikelite DS 161 strobes, and Ikelite Canon TTL converter. f/22, 1/160, ISO 100
Wolf Eel captured with the Canon EOS R5 in an Ikelite EOS R5 housing, Canon 8-15mm fisheye lens, dual Ikelite DS 161 strobes, and Ikelite Canon TTL converter. f/13, 1/60, ISO 500
Kelp Forest captured with the Canon EOS R5 in an Ikelite EOS R5 housing, Canon 8-15mm fisheye lens, dual Ikelite DS 161 strobes, and Ikelite Canon TTL converter. f/25, 1/6.3, ISO 250