Ikelite OM System OM-1 Underwater Housing
Ikelite has a reputation to produce high quality underwater camera housings, and the Ikelite OM System OM-1 Underwater Housing lives up to the name. The housing is small, compact and lightweight which makes it great to bring when going on dive trips. It is also built from ABS-PC material which provides strength and requires minimal maintenance. The housing also has great ergonomics. Button and lever location has been well thought off to make your shooting experience wonderful even when wearing thick gloves.
- DL Port System - The housing uses the DL Port System. The system o-ring placement is located outside the port mount which improves the o-ring visibility and reduces the chances of water dropping. It attaches quickly and securely. When using zoom lenses and select lens focus rings can be engaged using simple gearing that puts adjustment right at your fingertips. A large, soft-touch knob on the side of the housing makes fine-tuned adjustments a breeze. This is one of our favorite gear knobs on any housing. Yeah, it's just a knob, but it isn't until you use an Ikelite housing that you realize how nice it can be to have a large knob!
- Vacuum System - The housing includes vacuum valve, along with the optional Ikelite Pump with Gauge allows you to draw out air and check if your housing is completely sealed before diving. This provides you the peace of mind and assurance that your camera is safe inside the housing while underwater.
- TTL Exposure - The housing supports both shooting in manual or with TTL. The included manual hotshoe with Ikelite ICS-5 bulkhead supports manual strobe exposure with a wide variety of strobes including Ikelite, Sea & Sea, Inon and others. We recommend the Ikelite DL3 Panasonic, Olympus DS Link TTL Converter with PT1 Hotshoe Kit with the compatible Ikelite DS strobes provides a fast and accurate TTL exposure.
- Control and Setup - The ergonomics on Ikelite housings is great. The shutter and autofocus (via the AEL/AFL button) is very prominent with super sensitive and natural feeling curved levers. This combination allows you to shoot with or without back button focus, an advanced technique that is useful for tack sharp focus of super macro and fast moving subjects.All push-button controls are machined and hard anodized aluminum to reduce weight and resist salt build-up. The back of the housing is laser engraved with control symbols which will never fade or fall off. The camera mount is front-loading for easy installation and removal. A small mounting plate attaches to the bottom of the camera and secures in the front of the housing.
- Viewfinder - The housing includes the Super-Eye Viewfinder provides an enhanced view of the camera's optical viewfinder when viewed through a dive mask. The viewfinder removes quickly and easily for the attachment of an optional Straight Magnified Viewfinder or 45° Magnified Viewfinder (Type 3)
Lens Recommendations for Underwater:
- Olympus 60mm Macro - fast focusing and stunning macro
- Panasonic 8mm Fisheye - perfect wide angle option for reefs, wrecks, and close focus wide angle
- Panasonic 7-14mm Wide Angle - Awesome for pelagics, sharks, and landscape photos. Wide angle when you do not want the wide fisheye view and zoom offers more flexibility if you can't get right up close to your subject.
- Panasonic 45mm Macro- High quality macro lens
- Olympus 9-18mm Wide Angle - great for pelagics, and wide angle when you do not want the wide fisheye view. Zoom offers more flexibility if you can't get right up close to your subject.
- Panasonic 12-35mm - great mid range wide lens for video, fast F2.8 min aperture.
- Olympus 12-50mm - a good mid-range zoom option. Offers built in macro mode that is compatible with the Nauticam housing
Read about the best micro-four thirds lenses for underwater
For other options, see our other recommended strobes see our Buyer's Guide for Best Underwater Strobes
Recommended Video Lights:
- Light & Motion Sola 2500F Video Light - Bluewater Exclusive!
- Kraken Sports Hydra 4000 WRGBU Video Light
- Big Blue 9,000 Lumens Tri Color Video Light
For other options, see our other recommended strobes see our list of best underwater video lights.
Related Underwater Gear Categories:
- Depth Rating: 60m / 200ft
- DLM Type B Port Mount
- Controls for all camera functions except multi-selector, one touch white balance button, Fn lever, preview button, and diopter adjustment dial
- Two 1/4-20 threaded tray mounts with 3" (76mm) spacing
- Slightly negative buoyancy in fresh water
- Weight on Land: 2.9 lbs (1322 g)
- Dimension: 7.5 x 5.75 x 5.875" (190 x 146 x 149 mm)
- Material: ABS-PC, acrylic, and acetal construction with type III anodized aluminum and stainless steel controls
- 2 year limited warranty
- Ikelite OM-1 Housing
- Rear O-Ring # 0110 (installed)
- Front O-Ring # 0132.36 (installed)
- .050" Hex Key # 0945.11
- 1/16" Hex Key # 0945.16
- Silicone Lubricant 1cc Tube