Nauticam Nikon D850 Underwater Housing
As always, the focus of Nauticam housings is on the customer's enjoyment during use. Emphasis is put on ergonomics with easy to reach controls, comfortable handles and full functionality. The NA-D850 offers complete control, molded rubberized handles and positioning of controls for reach with any hand size.
Nauticam Nikon D850 Housing Features:
Ease of Use:
The Nauticam system is extremely easy to assemble and break down. A quick release camera tray holds the camera securely in the housing, no controls need to be preset and housing functions for dials and switches align automatically.
The large 120mm housing port opening allows all lenses, even the widest of Nikon Pro lenses to be used as well.
The right handle is your base of operations for all primary camera functions on the NA-D850. Nauticam has created oversized leverls, easily identifible by feel which allows for quick operation without removing your eye from the viewfinder.
The most frequently accessed controls (Shutter release, Main Command Dial, Sub Command Dial, Video Record, and AF-ON) are all located there. In addition the ISO control is accessed by a convenient thumb lever under the right grip. The INFO button is accessed from the right as well, which is useful for calling up camera settings on the rear LCD.
An improved AF-Mode lever is positioned on the left of the housing, easily identifible by feel allowing for quick switching between the various AF modes on the D850. In addition a separate AF-M lever is positioned above the AF-Mode lever. Also on the left is a double thumb lever for playback and the assignable Fn2 button.
The Nauticam housing includes a high quality optical glass viewfinder which works well for many users. However for those who want the benefit of the magnified viewfinder with the adjustable diopter, both the "straight" 180° viewfinder and the "angled" 45° viewfinder work great with this housing. Dioptric adjustment allows you to refine the viewfinder perfectly to your eye. Switching between viewfinders is easy and does not require any special tools.
The NA-D850 uses the same integrated LED flash trigger that is in the Nauticam NA-D5 housing. This trigger is mounted inside the camera housing, and allows firing of strobes to match the full 7fps speed of the camera burst so you never miss a shot.
Using fiber optic cables offers consistent light transmission without any additional points of entry into the housing, and these cables are smaller and less fragile than bulky electronic sync cables.
If you are using an older underwater strobe that does not allow for optical triggering, you can still add the accesory Nikonos (NAU-26074) or Ikelite (NAU-26075) style bulkhead and use electronic sync cables. These bulkheads plug directly into the LED trigger circuit board for clean cable routing and a reliable connection.
Optional TTL Converter
The NA-D850 is compatible with the Nauticam TTL Trigger (26308). This is a user installable upgrade, which provides accurate automatic TTL flash exposure from a number of popular underwater strobes with the ability to fire via electronic sync cord and fiber optic cables.
Compatible strobes include the Sea & Sea YS-D2J, Inon Z-330 and more. The YS-250 is also compatible via electronic sync cables.
Recommended Accessories for the NA-D850:
- Nauticam 45 Degree Viewfinder
- Nauticam 180 Degree Viewfinder
- Nauticam Vacuum Check And Leak Detection System (M16 - 25625)
- Optional TTL Converter (26308)
- Nauticam Universal Fiber Optic Cables
- Super Macro Converter
- Flip Diopter Holder (for macro diopter lenses)
- Sea & Sea YS-D2J Strobe
Recommended Lenses for the Nikon D850:
- Nikon 60mm AF-S Macro
- Nikon 105mm AF-S VR
- Nikon AF-S 8-15mm F3.5-4.5 Fisheye Lens.
- Nikon AF-S 16-35mm F4 Lens
- Recommended for maximum corner sharpness: Minimum port diameter 8.5" and/or Sea & Sea Internal Correction Lens (77mm)
- Sigma 15mm F2.8 Fisheye Lens
- Tokina 10-17mm Fisheye Lens (usable zoom range on full frame: 15-17mm only)
Nauticam NA-D850 Key Features:
Patented Port Locking System
No twisting or threading action is required to mount a port, and even the largest dome locks securely in place with this lever. Nauticam also offers locking port extension rings, meaning a dome will never twist.
Housing Locking Latches
The industry's easiest to use housing closure system, requiring very little hand strength to close, secures the housing back in place. The latches are safely locked, but easy to open for a quick battery or memory card change.
Multi Controller Pad
Located within easy reach of the right thumb, virtually recreates the Nikon D850 multi selector allowing full multidirectional use of this powerful tool. No other manufacturer has it, and with 55 user selectable focus points to choose from, photographers need it.
Integrated Vacuum Monitoring & Leak Detection System
Circuitry included as standard equipment provides constant monitoring of water tight integrity when combined with an optional Nauticam M16 Vacuum Valve II (PN 25625).
Vacuum Reset Button in Port Mount
A simple vacuum reset pushbutton placed in the port mount allows the vacuum system to be calibrated and initialized from the housing front. Ideal for quick lens swaps!
Stainless Steel Handle Brackets
Stiffening handle brackets are included with the housing. These brackets eliminate any flex or wobble when using big strobes, and provide multiple attachment points for lanyards, a hand strap, and other accessories.
Ergonomic Rubberized Grips
Another excellent Nauticam feature, these rubberized grips have been used with every Nauticam DSLR housing release. Their ergonomic shape and soft rubberized coating prevents hand fatigue, even on long dives.
Clear Control Labeling
All camera controls are clearly labled, allowing for easy identification while shooting.
D850 Camera Review
Learn more about the camera features and why we love it for underwater photography in our full Nikon D850 review.
Suggestions for Camera Customization from Nauticam:
The Nikon D850 offers four assignable pushbuttons (AF-ON, Fn1, Fn2, and Pv) which can also all be accessed from the Nauticam NA-D850 housing. While custom features can often be overwhelming, they can also really improve the user experience and unlock more creative options that are extremely valuable while out shooting.
You can configure these buttons however you like, but if you are looking for some starting points, here are a few recommendations from Nauticam to take advantage of these advanced set ups.
- 1 Step Spd / Aperture, allows changing exposure settings in full f-stop increments. Think about changing from a wide angle scenic mode with relatively open aperture and slow shutter speed to a close focus wide angle shot that requires a closed aperture to shrink a sun-ball.
- My Menu, a customized panel with frequently accessed menus settings
- Access Top Item in MY MENU, actually jumps into a frequently accessed sub menu structure for the top level My Menu selection, saving at least two button presses. (ie min shutter speed in auto iso mode, or quickly define a preset white balance)
- Quickly access another metering mode, toggling between the selected metering pattern and an alternate that more appropriately evaluates the current scene.
- Flash disable / enable, this is a big one! Toggles external flashes on and off, allowing a switch between artificial light shooting (continuous shooting speed limited by flash recycle, and shutter speed limited by the strobe max sync speed at 1/250) to silhouette mode using only ambient light (full 7 fps continuous shooting speed, unrestricted flash sync speed).
- AF-area mode + AF-ON – very cool functionality, for a quick way of accessing a focus mode other than the mode currently assigned and activating it while held down. Placed at the right ring finger via the re-positioned PV lever, the current focus mode be overridden with something like auto area focus for quick grab shots where there isn't time to move the selected autofocus point, or change focus area patterns.
Related Underwater Gear Categories:
- Nikon D850 Underwater Housings
- Nauticam Housings
- Underwater Photography Equipment
- Best Underwater Strobes
Sample Underwater Photo Taken with the D850:
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (310) 633-5052 with any questions.
- Depth Rating: 100m
- Weight: 3.07 kg
- Dimensions: 360mm x 195mm x 135mm (W x H x D)
- Depth Rating: 100m
- Weight: 3.07 kg
- Dimensions: 360mm x 195mm x 135mm (W x H x D)