Nauticam Olympus E-M1 Mark III Underwater Housing
Nauticam is constantly rethinking their underwater housing designs to create the absolute best user experience when shooting underwater, and the Nauticam NA-EM1MKIII housing is no exception. Their housings are crafted from high quality aluminum with controls and dials designed for great ergonomics (ease of use). The housing is depth rated to 100m, maintains a fairly small footprint making it great for traveling. All buttons are clearly labeled, it includes two fiber optic ports and a leak sensor. Lastly the rotating housing latch is secure yet easy to use.
Patented Port Locking System
The housing utilizes Nauticam's unique and easy to use port locking system. No twisting or threading action is required to mount a port, and it locks securely in place with this lever. They also offers locking port extensions, meaning a dome will never twist, even when used with a long extension ring.
Housing Locking Latch
The secure single rotating housing latch opens the housing back allowing for quick and easy battery or media changes.
Regardless of where a dial or button may be found on the camera body, Nauticam made sure it is located where it is needed most on the housing. This Mission Control philosophy drives the design of every housing and provides for the most intuitive and easy to use housings available. The NA-EM1III features a thumb lever, easily accessed from the ergonomic rubberized right handle that actuates the customizable AEL/AFL control. Typically, for underwater use, this control is assigned to trigger momentary autofocus. This back-button autofocus method prevents the camera from refocusing between shots, allowing the user fine control over a shot's focus and is critical whether shooting macro or fast moving wide-angle subjects.
Stainless Steel Handle Brackets
Stiffening handle brackets are included with the housing. These brackets eliminate any flex or wobble when using big strobes, and provide multiple attachment points for lanyards or other accessories.
Camera Mounting Tray
A locking camera mount system secures the camera in place, providing strength and precise positioning even when a heavy lens is mounted.
Flash Triggering - The strobes can be triggered using the optional Olympus FL-LM3 flash inside the housing to provide accurate TTL flash triggering through the integrated fiber optic bulkheads. For high-speed manual flash triggering, the optional Mini Flash Trigger for Olympus can be used.
Premium Professional Optics - Nauticam offers extensive line of ports for all types of shooting, may it wide angle of macro. Their wet lenses are also compatible with the housing such as WWL-1, SMC and CMC lenses.
Viewfinders - A clear view for fine focus and composition is critical for successful underwater photography, and nothing beats a magnifying viewfinder. the optional 45° Viewfinder and 180° Viewfinder provides external dioptric adjustments for dialing in perfect correction matched to the photographer’s eyesight.
Lens Recommendations for Underwater:
- Olympus 60mm Macro - fast focusing and stunning macro
- Panasonic 8mm Fisheye - perfect wide angle option for reefs, wrecks, and close focus wide angle
- Panasonic 7-14mm Wide Angle - Awesome for pelagics, sharks, and landscape photos. Wide angle when you do not want the wide fisheye view and zoom offers more flexibility if you can't get right up close to your subject.
- Panasonic 45mm Macro- High quality macro lens
- Olympus 9-18mm Wide Angle - great for pelagics, and wide angle when you do not want the wide fisheye view. Zoom offers more flexibility if you can't get right up close to your subject.
- Panasonic 12-35mm - great mid range wide lens for video, fast F2.8 min aperture.
- Olympus 12-50mm - a good mid-range zoom option. Offers built in macro mode that is compatible with the Nauticam housing
Read about the best micro-four thirds lenses for underwater
- Sea & Sea YS-D2J (Japanese Version)
- Inon Z-330 Underwater Strobe
- Ikelite DS-161 Strobe with NiMh Battery
- iTorch Symbiosis SS-3
For other options, see our other recommended strobes see our Buyer's Guide for Best Underwater Strobes
Recommended Video Lights:
- Light & Motion Sola 2500F Video Light - Bluewater Exclusive!
- Fisheye Fix Neo Premium 4030 EF II Video Light
- Big Blue VTL3500P Video Light
For other options, see our other recommended strobes see our list of best underwater video lights.
Learn more about the camera features and why we love it for underwater photography in our full Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark III Camera Review.
Sample Underwater Images:
Related Underwater Gear Categories:
- Dimension: 305mm.x 175mm x 116mm
- Weight on Land: 2kg
- Weight Underwater: 400g with camera and battery
- Depth Rating: 100m
- Port System: N85
- Nauticam NA-EM1III Housing
- Spare Main O-ring
- O-ring Remover
- CR-2450 Battery (for Moisture Alarm)
- Set of Allen Keys